Author Topic: Bressien [sp ?] barrels  (Read 4627 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Bressien [sp ?] barrels
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
I have had this .54 barrel a while, and am waiting for the appropriate project to use it. It's 36 long, 1 inch Oct.   Does anyone have information on these barrels?  I'm curious what mat'l it's made from . It certainly seems well made. Perhaps a likely candidate for a 1/2 stock with wood under rib?

Offline Don Getz

Re: Bressien [sp ?] barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:31:26 AM »
Apparently you don't know of Ken Bresien.   You have, in your possession, a barrel by probably the best barrel maker
since Harry Pope.    He is better know for his slug gun barrels, but any of his round ball barrels are among the best that
you can get.   I think he is now retired and no longer makes them.  It is probably made of 12L14 steel..............Don

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:57:17 AM »
Nice critique by one of the other best in the business. If you should decide to sell it you will have lots of takers.    Smylee

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:14:42 AM »
Wow...And , no I don't or should say , didn't know about Ken Bresien.  I got this barrel from a friend who picked it up from someone in Friendship about 15 years ago. He was going to use it to build a Hawken rifle, but never got around to it.

wetzel

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:51:25 AM »
Congratulations Bob, looks like a real treasure to make a fine rifle.  Now the pressure is on to use if for the right build:)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:29:38 AM »
Yes, I do want to use it, but I'm not really a Hawken fan, hence my thoughts of a wooden under rib 1/2 stock. Nice wide buttplate, with perhaps a Chambers early Ketland lock. I'll have to start looking through my books for something.

wetzel

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
when researching a project what books have you found the most useful?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
Wetzel, I use both RCA books, the Kentucky Rifle book, the Pennsylvania Rifle book, as well as years of issues of Muzzleblast magazine .  After going through them all, I usually find something.

wetzel

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
Thanks Bob,

I need to get a copy of those.

keweenaw

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
You might want to check the twist on that barrel before you decide what to do with it.

Tom