Author Topic: Stump rifle  (Read 2986 times)

Offline whitebear

Stump rifle
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:23 AM »
I'm working from memory here so bear with me as this was 1997 or 1998.  Several years back a friend showed me a rifle that he called a stump rifle (chunk gun) that he had.  It had roughly a 1" streight octagon barrel of about 45 cal 40" long percussion with a lock from a front action SXS double.  The makers name was stamped in the top flat of the barrel using a small about 1/8 chisel to make the letters.  This had a full stock with a ramrod grove approximately 3 or 4" long.  The remainder of the forend was solid like the area in front of the lock on a regular long rifle with just the last few inches having a ramrod grove no thimbles.  Has anyone seen such a setup before?  If I can find this gun I will try to post pictures.  My friend died soon after showing me this gun and I have no idea what happened to it.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Kermit

Re: Stump rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:22 AM »
Would be fun to see if you can locate any pix.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

keweenaw

Re: Stump rifle
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »
Many, many chunk guns are built by their owners with varying ideas of what forestock will work best for them so you see lots more variation there than on standard longrifles.  Some have a solid block at the front with the rr hole drilled through but most of the ramrod groove exposed.

Tom