Author Topic: I have needs.....  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
I have needs.....
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
Need metal cutting scroll saw blades with pegs on the ends. Anybody know where to get them? I'll be cutting 1/16" to 1/8" brass. getting tired of the ol' hack saw. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline t.caster

Re: I have needs.....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
I get them locally at Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte Mi. The have a woodmill & specialize in common exotic woods & woodworking tools & machinery.
online at  theworkbench.com
Tom C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
 I use coping saw blades for brass, like these:

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Products/productdetail.html?CID=21

Tim C.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:43:50 PM »
 And I thought Mike was going to share some of his inner most thoughts with us.    ;D
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Mike,
I have delt with this outfit several times and have been happy with their product.  I upgraded my old Sears scroll saw to pinles blades from these guys.  Thay stock a lot of saw blades.  http://www.pozsgaidesigns.com/
DMR

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 10:45:22 PM »
Yep, the Vermont American ones TimC. shows. Seams like my local ACE Hardware has them too.
Tom C.

Dave Waters

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:20:17 PM »
I just bought some mini hacksaw blades at Sears with 52 teeth per inch!!!

Yes that's right. 52 teeth per inch! Perfect for thin metal.

Dave Waters

roundball

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »

52 teeth per inch

There's an educational show on TV called "Modern Marvels"...usually dedicated to manufacturing processes and machinery, lasers, etc...used to manufacture different products from potato chips to chocolate kisses to light bulbs to tires, etc...bet it would be interesting to see the machinery and processes involved with making 52 TPI saw blades...tiny tooth separation, alternating angles, etc

Ron Brimer

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:58 AM »
  ACE HARDWARE 
R B

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 03:09:36 AM »
Mike.....weird that you would inquire about those blades.   I was about to ask if anyone used a scroll saw to cut out brass
parts, and I guess you have answered my question.   Do you use fine toothed blades like you use in a jewelers saw, or
are they something entirely different.    Who makes a good scroll saw?.......Don

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:32 AM »
Don, check out the top end Dewalt it is variable speed. I think you may want it for cutting brass. Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:35:56 AM »
Mike.....weird that you would inquire about those blades.   I was about to ask if anyone used a scroll saw to cut out brass
parts, and I guess you have answered my question.   Do you use fine toothed blades like you use in a jewelers saw, or
are they something entirely different.    Who makes a good scroll saw?.......Don
I just bought one the other day to try out cutting brass with it. I haven't taken it out of the box yet as I don'
t have the proper blades yet. Many thanks to all who have guided me to finding those blades.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »
Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight $80 variable speed scroll saw for this?  It is hard to imagine some of us dedicating too much to occasional metal work only; if it works, it could be an economical "brass only" solution.  I know their stuff can be hit or miss, but they sell some pretty decent stuff for small hobby type use if you are choosy.  Knowing I'm going to regret asking the question...

Dave Waters

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »
Yes, roundball. I was shocked when i saw those tiny teeth on those mini hacksaw blades.
They work great.

For what it's worth, a few years ago, I bought a table mounted two wheel band saw from Sears that was all steel construction. (Transelate stiff frame) I used a 3 speed gear box off an old self propelled lawn mower and geared it down to the proper speed for cutting steel, brass, etc. It works great! ;D  Oh, the saw was on sale for $100 bucks.