Author Topic: redriling tang bolt hole  (Read 3333 times)

Offline smylee grouch

redriling tang bolt hole
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:23:43 AM »
OK so I had to rebreech a barrel that was already in the stock, lock inleted and tang bolt drilled and tapped into doubleset trigger plate. Now with the new tang inleted in to the same position and touch hole in the corect position I have to drill the tang for the 8x32 tang bolt and try to hit the same hole and keep the head of the tang bolt in the propper angle so it bottoms out square in the eventual countersink. I have a plan but would like to hear some other peoples opinions on this.   Thanks in advance    Smylee

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: redriling tang bolt hole
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
If I understand you correctly you can just remove the trigger guard & trigger plate, then select a drill bit that fits the clearance hole for the 8X32 tang bolt and drill away (from the bottom). Perfect alignment for the new hole in the tang. Then counter sink the topside for the head, this will be the hardest part.
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:42:31 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

jeager58

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »
if you are drilling from the bottom make sure you mark then center punch the tang so the bit doesn't wander ...phil

Offline JDK

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:35:59 AM »
The tang hole/screw is perhaps the most often viewed screw on any longrifle as it is immediately in front of the shooter all the time, so placement is critical....allot more critical that where comes out in the trigger plate which is often times hidden by the trigger guard.  I wouldn't mess around here and would fill the whole in the plate as is often discussed here (tread a screw in, upset and cut off) and start fresh from the top of the tang where I want the new bolt to be....centered and square.  Just my 2 cents, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »
If I were to do that. First I would take a correct sized pilot tipped drill bit & go in from the removed triggerplate area & go up just to the tang & just touch it to mark it.
Then take barrel & tang out & centerpunch tang good, but Just barely  towards the muzzle, as it is going to try to walk towards the buttpate most of the time.

Then I would take Epoxy & fill up a Pilot tip drill bit all the way to about 1/8" of the tip. Let it dry, chuck it in the drill press & carefully take the epoxy down to the steel by filing as you rotate it in the drill press. This gives you a solid shaft & it won't eat into the wood as easily & oblong the through hole.

Hopefully you do have one good clean hole thru the stock. Put the snug filled Pilot tip drill bit in & Drill it with Very Little pressure & put it out several times to remove the chips.

Then cut the countersink from the top side.

I have done this several times on rifles I have rebarreled & it worked for me.

However, if you decide to do it ALL over, fill the stock as well with a glued in dowel & redrill all of it.

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:46:19 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:54:08 AM »
Thanks everyone so far that have responded. My plan was pretty much like everyone sugested but I planed to mark the bottom of the tang with the clearance drill then take barrel out and drill a very shallow small diameter hole where my clearance drill marked the tang thinking that when I replaced the barrel in stock the clearance drill would pick up the small diameter hole and not wander off. The idea of using epoxy on the drill sounds like a good plan too so will consider doing that when the time comes. Again, thank you all for your sugestions and reinforcement.  Smylee