Author Topic: Another Browning Question  (Read 2498 times)

longrifle

Another Browning Question
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
I am working on a Thompson Center 50 cal. Hawken kit for hunting season next yr.  I have a few old rifles, but this is the first kit that I have put together. My questions are. I browned the barrel and I was wondering how well does modern browning hold up ? I used Laurel Mountain Plum Browning and got a good even brown color.  Should I seal it it in some way one person told me to rub a light coat of linseed oil on the barrel. Will this hurt the browning in any way ? What is the best thing to use ?  Thanks

Scott Semmel

Re: Another Browning Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
Cold rust browning, or bluing for that matter, is quite durable, I used linseed oil to seal most of my barrels now use Ron Rhoades' Final Finish either work fine and I,m sure any number of other oils or waxes would work also.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Re: Another Browning Question
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
I personally used boiled linseed, as it tends to give the brown a rich hue.  I usually put on a liberal coat after I have neutralized the browning solution and thoroughly dried the part I have browned.  I leave it set overnight then use WD-40 and 0000 steel wool to remove the excess linseed.  Don't rub too hard with the 0000 and WD or you can remove the finish, especially on the edges of the flats of a barrel.  I know a couple of people that finish with Wonder Lube and it also works pretty well.  I tried it myself and didn't like it as well as linseed.