Author Topic: frizzen hardening  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
frizzen hardening
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
I am amost finished with the frizzen on my French pistol.  (I have made a 1750's French lock out of a Chambers small Siler, with a little help from Acer.)  When it comes to hardening the frizzen is it OK to get the striking surface of the frizzen bright orange and quench while the lid part of the frizzen is not that hot - i.e. dull red?  It seems to me that bringing the whole frizzen up to color and quenching, and then softening the lid/tail part of the frizzen would achieve the same results as quenching that part of the frizzen while they were at less than cricial temperature. I've heard of this type of quench being used for other types of steel implements.

Thanks for you opinions.

JMC

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: frizzen hardening
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
Long John:  I generally harden the whole frizzen at the same time - then I will draw the temper in the face to a dark straw and the pan cover/ cam to a dark blue.  This always works for me.     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »
The approach you suggested is fine.  This is apparently what Chambers does on most if not all of the frizzens on his locks.  When you polish out a frizzen this becomes apparent.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »
John,
Many builders clamp the tail in a steel vise, which acts as a heat sink for that section.  When the frizzen reaches critical temperature, they undo the vise and allow the part to fall into the quench.  This allows for differential tempering of the part.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

ironwolf

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »
  Hardening and tempering are two different things.  One can not temper something that has not been hardened.

K