Author Topic: New Wood Dye  (Read 2357 times)

Offline okieboy

New Wood Dye
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:13 AM »
 Just noticed today that Laurel Mountain Forge is offering an "Ebony Toner" for those of us that like darker finishes on our stocks. I noticed it on Track's site and it shows up on LMF's site also. I am a fan of LMF's finishing products and this will really add to controlling the color of the stock.
Okieboy

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: New Wood Dye
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:27:11 AM »
I picked up a bottle of Ebony Toner recently, but haven't yet done anything with it.  I've been told that it works particularly well for making the grain pop out.  Don't know if that's true or not...  And since most LMF stains are very strong, I'd definitely try it on some scrape pieces first.
Ed Wenger

Offline bgf

Re: New Wood Dye
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 04:37:09 AM »
I think it might be great for using as a "base coat" (diluted, of course).  I got some LMF stains recently, but I wasn't happy with the darkness of the colors I'd chosen, so I put some of my grey-black vinegar and iron stain on a scrap then some LMF.  The results show a much darker color,  lots of figure and make the stripe pop out better than the LMF stain alone.  The ebony toner used as a base (probably needs to be thinned) might work in the same way in addition to other uses.