Author Topic: Router Bit  (Read 3911 times)

nvandal

Router Bit
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
Hello all,
I know this has likely been discussed a few times before, but I have a couple questions about sourcing a router bit to inlet barrels. I would like to know if anyhone out there has had a router bit made that will cut the inlet for a one inch, straight, octagonal barrel. Specifically, where was this done? I know and appreciate that some of you will respond with the names of firms that ground custom router bits. I don't really need to know this, but I do want a deal done kind of thing...a bit specifically made by someone rather than a possibility. So, if you had one made...where?
Better yet, if anyone has an extra bit, or can loan me one, I'd be beholding.
I have routers, shapers and a small shaper that can use router bits. I've also had bits ground in the past, but when I focus in on what I want I'm getting hesitations that are disconcerting.
In addition, if anyone knows a specific, definite source for one inch diameter, flat bottom grooving bits in high speed steel, I can likely grind my own inletting bit, or can get one ground locally.
Whatever info I get I'll be happy to pass along.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Norm Vandal
Roxbury, VT

Offline T*O*F

Re: Router Bit
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
What you need is a shaper cutter in HSS.  This market has all but dried up with everyone making them from carbide.  Sears was the last holdout offering them, and they make a small run every so often.  Pictured below is one of mine.  I had a complete set made many years ago.  You want a 1 inch joiner, offered only for a 1/2" mandrel, part number 9 3012.  You will also notice the round spacer on the bottom.  This limits the depth of cut to 1/2 of the cutter diameter; ie 1/2" for a 1" cutter.

You will have to search Sears online to see if they have them.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

California Kid

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:38 AM »
A table saw with a dado set works well for a straight barrel if you already have one.

nvandal

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »
Hello all,
I found a source for HSS shaper cutters. COROB CUTTERS. They have 1" rabbeting cutters, 1/2" spindle, that can be ground to cut the octagonal inlet groove. The price is super...$ 17.95. I use a sharpening/ grinding service called Valley Machine Knife, in Springfield, MA. They've made all kind of profile cutters for me in the past. They also sharpen planer and jointer knives. Good folks. Easy to deal with.
As far as the router cutter attempt is concerned, I can't locate a source for HSS 1" diameter bits. Again, if anyone know of a source I'd love to know about it.
Thanks for the help.
Norm Vandal
Roxbury, VT

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
You want a 1 inch joiner, offered only for a 1/2" mandrel, part number 9 3012.

Just checked their website.  Nothing turned up under that number ... (BUMMER)
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

nvandal

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
GRA,

Corob Cutters:

http://corobcutters.com/shapeknives.php

This is a straight cutter. I am having the corners ground at Valley Machine Knife. Haven't done this yet, but based on their past record with me, it'll be a fine job.

Norm V.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »
In years past I took a HSS V shape router bit and ground the bottom of it off. I would hog off  the center of the channel with a flat bottom bit. Then come in with my reshape v and finish it up. When you reshape it dont over heat it. You should with the right grinder stone (It is a green stone) be able to do the same thing with carbide
David Veith
David Veith

Offline cmac

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:24:14 AM »
Haven't used these but I was looking at Grizzly"s moulding head system.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:43:30 AM »
Pretty much did what Mr Veith did. I wound up making 4 sizes, 1"-3/4". Figure the bottom flat width and groung the "V" to a flat that sized out . Then ground the sides to the proper width. Use a straight bit to hog out some of the bulk and then slowly and with shallow passes use the bit to form the channel. Mine is "slightly" undersized to allow a good fit! Works for me so far.