Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 9842 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

How do you do it?
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
In all the gun build tutorials and photos of gun builds in progress, everything looks so clean.
I've built several rifles and every one is covered with dirty hand prints and remains that way till i do the final sanding befor staining. How do you do it? or is it a photo trick? ::)

Offline Ben I. Voss

Re: How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
You don't wear white gloves while building?!

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
I have my servents hold everything for me.  ;D
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
Micah, Don't believe these guys. They're pulling your leg. It's actually trick photography. When you edit your photos, you have to click on "Make My Gun Look Clean". There are other options you can use, such as "Make My Shop Look Clean and Neat". Of course, these options cost extra when purchasing the software.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
If you happen to see my post "Seniors Moment " you will soon see that I don't keep it neat or tidy or clean.   Bob

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »
A couple of factors are how acid your perspiration is and if you use that nasty black transfer color.  My hands tend to darken wood.  Seems red maple and walnut are especially bad.

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
I'm working on my first  build right now and the stock is filthy!!!!!! Once the metal is all fitted I'll start shaping the wood and hopefully that will  clean it up and make it purty. If not I'll have a very dark stock. Frank

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
When I was "serving" my tool and diemaker apprenticeship there was a saying..."a tidy bench and tidy work are a display of misdirected efforts". To this day  I believe that  this "saying"  is correct and fully approve of a messy bench and a "workpiece"  that show  evidence that  both   have  been worked on.....Fred
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:49:31 PM by flehto »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
In all the gun build tutorials and photos of gun builds in progress, everything looks so clean.
I've built several rifles and every one is covered with dirty hand prints and remains that way till i do the final sanding befor staining. How do you do it? or is it a photo trick? ::)
One little jar of jarrows inletting black lasts me about 100 guns. You are putting it on too thick if you're turning your stock black and getting the stuff all over.
 It really doesn't matter, there is always at least 1/8" or more of wood to take off any kit.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
I don't even have to touch the transfer black. Maybe it's the brass fileing and shapling or drawfiling the barrel cause after working on these parts my hands are black.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:43 AM »
Our ways are mysterious, Grasshopper!

Okieboy

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »
I like to keep a clean gun.  Have sandpaper ready all the time.   Those black, dirty guns really turn me off...........Don

Offline cmac

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »
I have kind of gotten away from using the commercial transfer black and gone to the candle method. Sometimes the stuff does work well though. A dark piece of walnut for example, it can be hard to see anything but... Even the candle soot makes for a dirty gun. I would have to agree that it is all removed in the final shaping and scraping/sanding. Sure would be nice to keep em clean all the time though

Meteorman

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
I like to keep a clean gun.  Have sandpaper ready all the time.   Those black, dirty guns really turn me off...........Don

Put me firmly in Don's camp. 
I certainly don't do this for a livin', so taking time to keep things clean isn't a big deal.
I use lipstick for transfer medium, and I keep a rag, fine sandpaper, and small scraper (modified Xacto knife) handy at all times when using it.
I've also started partitioning metal work and wood work as much as possible.
If time were money, I think this would be misdirected effort, but as a hobbyist, I just feel better looking at a clean project when I hit the shop.
/mike

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »

Don't over use inletting black, be it the commercial stuff, candle soot or soft pencil.

And clean off the finger prints before taking photos ;D

My inletting black usually dries out before I get it used up. So I buy a new one and mix with the old since the new stuff is often too runny.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »
I have an old soup can that I keep two soldering brushes in. I add a very small (and I mean tiny small) amount of inletting black and spread it on the bottom (the inside) of the can......eventually that will dry up and I give it a squirt of WD-40 now and then to keep it going. I use this very sparingly and it greatly helps in keeping everything clean.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Also if you have inletting black all over the stock its impossible or at least a lot more difficult to do good inletting.
Use a soft toothbrush with just a little black on it to apply on maple a minute amount is plenty. Candle/oil lamp is OK but its a fire hazard and general PITA. Parts get hot too.

I would not use WD-40 as a mixer for black but everyone has their own processes. Black that penetrates is a "no-no".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

tuffy

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
I use lipstick for transfer medium, and I keep a rag, fine sandpaper, and small scraper (modified Xacto knife) handy at all times when using it.
/mike

Mike,
   Do you prefer the kind with aloe, to make the lips soft, or the kind that doesn't smear? ;D ;D ;D
Just kiddin', I never thought of using lipstick. Mama isn't going to like you for this info. ::)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
When I first started building I used a lot of inlettin black and thus the stock was black. Over time I have found I use less inletting black which helps keep the stock cleaner. I Use candle soot instead of the commercial inletting black which I find less messy and easier to clean off my hands. I also wash my hands more often when inletting parts which helps. All this has helped in keeping the stock cleaner. Also I don't start the carving process until the stock has been totally inlet of all parts and has been scraped or sanded. This gives a nice surface for carving design layout. The only back you have to worry about then is the pencil lead which is easily removed with a good eraser. Again washing your hands before starting work will help keep the stock cleaner.

Remember I said cleaner, by that I mean not black ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
I have little shop "gremlins" that come out at night, when I am, not there who clean the stockwood back to white!   ;D   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »
Usually when I take a photo I have just finished taking off a bunch of wood, which by nature gives me a fresh clean surface to start over getting dirty.....
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »
Usually when I take a photo I have just finished taking off a bunch of wood, which by nature gives me a fresh clean surface to start over getting dirty.....

me too.....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming