Author Topic: Re: Working Up a Load - split topic - chokes and progressive depth rifling  (Read 3470 times)

blunderbuss

I have a barrel by Risley who use to make barrels in Ft Stockton TX he made me a Jaeger 27 1/2 in .577 and it was about a 1000th larger ID at the breech than the muzzle He claimed that even a round ball would obturate enough that it would cause the ball to tighten in the groves as it neared the muzzle.If I'm making my self clear. He would bore the barrel and then lap the bore with a lead lap then rifle it. He claimed that Bill Large would rifle the bore and then lap it. Looks like 6 one way half dozen the other to me.
What ever he did it didn't hurt the accuracy, it's a hard hitting gun too
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:59:40 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

Re: Working Up a Load - Some Thoughts (PHOTOS on Page 3)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:59:05 AM »
Yeah- the one I can't figure out how to do, is to have progressive depth rifling, with constant bore diameter, with rifling .011" to  .012" deep at the breech and .003" at the muzzle, even in the short barrels along with the 32" and the 39".

The Brits started this with their hollow based slug guns of the 1850's, the Enfields, and the US war department followed suit in their rifles.  As far as I know, only the Iralian replica of the Enfields follow the progressive depth rifling as does my Armi San Polo Musketoon.

BTW- I split the topic due to the change in topic, what I considered a good topic in itself, one about internal chokes and tapers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:03:41 AM by Daryl »

Dave Faletti

Daryl.   I can think of a couple ways variable depth rifling could be cut but without doing it I won't claim it is a good solution. :D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
I have a barrel by Risley who use to make barrels in Ft Stockton TX he made me a Jaeger 27 1/2 in .577 and it was about a 1000th larger ID at the breech than the muzzle He claimed that even a round ball would obturate enough that it would cause the ball to tighten in the groves as it neared the muzzle.If I'm making my self clear. He would bore the barrel and then lap the bore with a lead lap then rifle it. He claimed that Bill Large would rifle the bore and then lap it. Looks like 6 one way half dozen the other to me.
What ever he did it didn't hurt the accuracy, it's a hard hitting gun too

Choked barrels shoot great if done right.
.001 is not a lot of choke.
They also tend to load easier once past the choke.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

My flint 20 bore has about .005" choke - shoots shot well enough to win the trap event at our rondy last June or July. With a .0225" patched .595" ball, once it's past the choke, it shoves down very easily, no strain on the tapered rod, yet the patches come out looking like they'd been shot from a straight bore.

So far, I've only shot pure lead in it.

blunderbuss

This is more a progressive depth rather than a choke .meaning it starts at 1000th larger at he id of the breech and gets progressively tighter toward the muzzle.You can feel it loosen up toward the breech as you load. It works same as an 1850 Enfield. I don't know how much larger an Enfield is at the breach.Your correct a 1000th isn't much but then again I guess a round ball doesn't expand that much eather