Author Topic: Black powder has more oomph.  (Read 4719 times)

stone knife

Black powder has more oomph.
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »
I was able to procure some of the real deal and compared to pyrodex p the FFFG has more oomph, I have no real scientific data except for the fact that I had bigger dents in my steel plate with 5 gr less powder ;D I shot some nice groups with my little 32 cal.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Black powder has more oomph.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:27:39 AM »
Its nice to see another saved soul, you wont regret using the real stuf.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »
I have to laugh.  My only brush with Pyrodex was 30-35 years ago.  I was shooting a .36 cal percussion rifle and feeding it maybe 25 grs. of 3f.  Everything was going swimmingly.  Another shooter offered me some Pyrodex and praised its virtues.  He said to load it volume for volume, which I did.  When the gun went off I watched the ball land about 10 yards in front of me and bounce down range.  Maybe the cap was weak.  At any rate, I was unimpressed and didn't see the point in rushing off to buy any of the stuff. 

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
I bought a pound when it was first available in my area.  Used it twice and went back to the genuine article.  Still have the original cardboard tube canister with about 12 ozs in it.   As folks around here say, it is "verschtutzed"

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »
I bought a pound when it was first available in my area.  Used it twice and went back to the genuine article.  Still have the original cardboard tube canister with about 12 ozs in it.   As folks around here say, it is "verschtutzed"
It has ruined at least 2 barrels that I know of from not cleaning, happily none of mine.  I have no pyrodex and never have that I can recall..... :)

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
I tried Pyrodex once a long time ago & was unimpressed.  I used maybe a quarter of the can & burned the rest in a pile to be rid of it.  I am using H777 in my stainless Ruger Old Army right now & like it.  Almost no fouling, a lot faster to clean the pistol, & noticeably more power than with the same volume of black powder.  I like shooting that pistol a lot but find about 10 cylinders full is about all I can shoot with bp before I start getting fouling related issues like binding & misfires.  With H777, I can shoot all day with no problems.  Nothing but real bp for my flinchlock tho! ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:02:19 PM by Harnic »

Offline walt53

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I just got 4lbs this spring and have been out twice to use it .I HAVE never had that good of accuracey ever using pyrodex.And no more fighting and getting the rod stuck while cleaning .S ome oF THAT CREDIT belongs to this forum ,but some also belongs to black powder.Get aload of this ,TC HAWKEN
50CAL -80GRNS GRAFES 3F, OX YOKE FELT WAD - .018 PRE LUBED TC PILLOW  TICKING PATCH,  .490 ball ,,,and the results 2'' and under at 100yds.gotta like that . WALT

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
Using true black will reserve you a place in Heaven.  Subs will reserve you a place in, well, somewhere else.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 04:47:35 AM »
Pyrodex is horrifically corrosive, If you need to use a sub 777 won't rot your gun.

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
Using true black will reserve you a place in Heaven.  Subs will reserve you a place in, well, somewhere else.

Well, at least "somewhere else" is warm!  ;)