Author Topic: Lancaster Sights  (Read 5665 times)

Kaintuckkee

Lancaster Sights
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »
What type front and rear sights would be "correct" for a Late  Lancaster rifle,I would prefer a steel blade type front sight,mine has a silver blade sight on it now and I dont care for it,to much glare

Offline b bogart

Re: Lancaster Sights
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
Could just smoke it with a candle

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Thats true I guess.....but would rather just change it

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
A silver blade would be the thing, and you could put any number of solutions on it to turn the color black,,, but if you want a steel blade, just put one and be done with it.
John
John Robbins

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
Sights are a personal issue. That being said a iron(steel) front sight is something I have never seen on a origional gun. Almost all the origional guns I have had the pleasure of handling had brass front sights. Whith a minority having a silver front sight. The bottom line is use the sights that suit your eyes and the targets you normally shoot. I use brass because my preference is for hunting and woods walk type shooting. I find for my use that brass is the best compromise for all conditions. If your in a line shoot in bright sunlight then I just darken the front sight with a thumb full of black powder fouling from the flintlocks pan, instant tarnish. When I am planning to go uot hunting I will polish the sight with scotch bright. It will glow almost as nice as fiber optics in the early dawn light and is visible in any leagle shooting hours  here in Pa.
BJH

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
Don't know if you can see it, but the rear of the front sight blade, has a sot 45 degree angle filed and polished on it. In dim light, this gleams and makes sighting in the bush much easier. Simply comering with fouling or dry erase felt pen makes it black when black is needed in bright sunlight, which is rare inside the bush.
If you enlarge the picture, you can see the sight easily.  Even without enlarging, you can see a small white dot on the top of his muzzle - this is the angle on the rear of his front blade - very load on the muzzle. He's shooting his .40 cal. Kuntz Lehigh rifle(I think).

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

Every shot?

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Silver or brass is HC I am not sure about iron.
You must remember that black sights show up very poorly in game animals, the darker the animal the worse this is. On a buffalo or other dark animal a black front sight vanishes.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

omark

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
if, after all the lecturing, you still want steel, i would make one of the same design as you have, only out of steel.    mark

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »
if, after all the lecturing, ...

Lecturing? Don't get me started!  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 05:49:51 AM »

Every shot?

Dan

At Rondy, in the blazing sun shooting at fresh-lead covered plates, or white straws stuck verticle in a plank with tall, skinny white weeds standing in background, yes.

omark

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »
if, after all the lecturing, ...

Lecturing? Don't get me started!  ;D
sorry acer    ;)   mark

Offline cmac

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:37:58 AM »
Many of the military rifles and smoothbores had steel front sights to mount the bayonet. Most of these of course where not Lancaster rifles but.........