Author Topic: old time builder  (Read 5033 times)

Offline shortbarrel

old time builder
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
I saw a post about a fellow who was kind of getting burned out building rifles. I'm getting ready to start on a southern mountain rifle,all iron. But my thoughts are kind of like his. I build a rifle completely,sometimes minus the lock.  Wonder if I bought one of a kit rifle from one of the good vendors, would I be disapointed. Would be a change in pace for sure.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: old time builder
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:57:41 AM »
The only way to get an answer that you will believe and understand, is to buy a good "kit" and "assemble" the rifle yourself.  I've built many guns both ways, and though I prefer to build from scratch for the personal satisfaction and freedom it affords, I build from parts sets too when I must, and enjoy the outcome very much.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:28:53 AM »
I have built only 12 guns. 5 from precarves ans 7 from a plank. My next one is from a precarve from David Keck. I got everything I needed from Mr. Keck ,, B wt swamp barrel, Chambers lock. and Davids soft brass hardware. He inlet the barrel cut thr RR groove and drilled  the RR hole and turned the stock from the lock back . I could'nt be happier to have all the grunt work done for me. If you chose to deal with him I'm sure you will be pleased. Just my humble opinion.
   No I'm not related to David.
Cheers    Bob

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »
Thanks for the comments,did not think I would get a lot of input on this post. I'll think about kit building for awhile and make my mind up. A pre- carved stock doesn't leave much room for slight changes, except in but end, but like the man said, it sure saves a lot of grunt work, if you got the ramrod  hole drilled and the barrel channel hogged out.

Ron Brimer

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »
 Dont "HOG OUT the barrel channel , unless you intend to glass bed it .
RON B

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:06:21 AM »
Hog out is just a term, I inlet a barrel to within .003 of an inch. The inside of a stock should be just as good as the outside.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:47:10 AM »
What you might like better would be a one profiled from lock pannels back, inletted barrel with rr hole pre-drilled. The rest you do it your way.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline cmac

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:54:36 AM »
Even having just the lock panels back done for you; the length of pull is often set. It can be adjusted sometimes, depending on the style of butt plate, but cannot make it longer. I have run into some gaps around factory inletting jobs as well. I think sometimes that is the inlet and sometimes the castings or parts being used. Castings shrink as they harden and I believe that is some of it.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 12:33:26 AM »
Thanks Dennis: I didn't know you could get a pre-carved stock in this state. Never bought many items from the vendors. If you would please  place  another post as to the good vendors who would make up a kit like this. Thanks

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:30:44 AM »
David Keck
Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
287 Mountain Road
Berwick, PA 18603
(570) 759-2053

http://www.knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/

E-Mail: snowfly@ptd.net
Kunk

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »
Thanks Dennis: I didn't know you could get a pre-carved stock in this state. Never bought many items from the vendors. If you would please  place  another post as to the good vendors who would make up a kit like this. Thanks
Shortbarrel, I sent you an email. If you don't get it let me know.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson