Author Topic: Storing Stock Blanks  (Read 3158 times)

MAC57

Storing Stock Blanks
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »
I have two stock blanks that I need to store for at least 1 year. What is the best way to store them?

Online Dave B

Re: Storing Stock Blanks
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
I have always stored my stocks for years up on the rafters in the garage but I felt like it got too hot up there during parts of the year and took them down. When I got a ventilated metal cabinet. It was an old electrical cabinet for phone or computer systems so it has louvers all around it.  I can store about twenty stocks in it. They are up off the ground and stored in an upright position.  I have heard of folks screwing a eye bolt into the muzzle end and hanging them up.
Dave Blaisdell

MAC57

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
Thanks Dave. I never thought of hanging them up.
Mark

Offline marcusb

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »
Hanging them up is a good idea. I have noticed the walls of my hobby room are slowly being taken over by blanks, just hard to say no to a fine chunk of maple!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
I have my workshop in my basement, and I store most my stocks in the rafters, but I don't have enough rafters for all my wood. Larger planks are on shelves built in my polebarn, w/stickers betwixt them.
Tom C.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Wood storage to some extent depends on the local climate.   Heat is one thing and humidity another.  Some states are hot and humid.  In Mn we get a lot of humidity in the summer and less in the winter.  Wood furniture loves to come apart.  I have a hotbox that I place a stock in before building to draw out any moisture picked up from storage.  Rafters are not an all bad place to store a stock.

DP

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
I have seen a stock come up with a twist in it from just hanging it. :( It was most likely slab cut. I two set what I can in the rafters.
David
David Veith