Author Topic: Soldering tutorial?  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Kermit

Soldering tutorial?
« on: June 09, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »
Can anyone point me to a tutorial or a book that will help me solder underlugs and sight to a round barrel?  ???
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Soldering tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
Kermit,

I agree a tutorial on soldering would be a great addition.  I'm not qualified to write it, but I sure will read it!

I did a search on "Soldering" and found this.... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13664.0

While not a tutorial, it seems to have some good info and also talks about moon pies, which are apparently required for proper soldering. Hope the link helps.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Dave W

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »
You can try looking at this: and adapt it accordingly.  (Using steel wool to help spread the solder while tinning works for me...

Dave

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:56 PM »
The best thing to happen to me when it comes to soldering is how to use a soldering iron.   For round barrels, I make my
own underlugs out of about .030 thick steel or brass.   Cut a piece about 3/4" long by 1/2" wide.    Fold in the middle and
pound the bend flat.   I then place the bent area into a machinists vise, about 1/8", and fold the two upright leaves open,
pound them flat.   Then raise the edges of those two flats until it matches the round part of the barrel......it requires a
little finessing here.    Using emery paper, clean up the inside curvature of the lug, apply soldering flux, then come the
easy part.    Using that soldering iron, get it hot with a propane torch until solder melts on it,  then using the iron, hold it
on the underlug where the flux is, the iron will provide the heat and you will amazingly tin the underise of the lug.   Then
to attach it to the barrel, you should have one of my little clamps to hold it down and apply pressure downward.  The
barrel should be cleaned with emery paper where you want the underlug and should be fluxed.   Hold the lug in place
and apply heat to the barrel until the solder flows........stop, you are done.....simple............Don

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:46:26 AM »
I make the lugs out of .040 annealed brass sheet and  form as  Don Getz described. I then hold 220 grit paper on the bbl at the areas that the lugs will be attached and rub the lug on the paper until it conforms to the the bbl. Sandpaper the bbl area and lightly apply Swif 95 solder paste to the lug {sight} and bbl , lightly clamp in place and heat. ....Fred

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
 This is a great third hand during the soldering, scrol down a bit, also lots of other help on Al's site. Thanks Al and Ken.

http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/Tips_And_Aids.htm

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:20:25 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
Thanks, friends! I knew I could find what I need here. ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
I used a C clamp(light pressure) and some soldering paste from Lowe's to solder on the lugs for my current English fowler build. Super easy, just be sure to recheck your center line alignment before you heat the lug, light taps will realign any misalignment. On my first one, the lug was slightly off center which I didn't notice until after I had soldered it on. No problem, but not exactly perfect.

I wrapped sand paper around the barrel and sanded the lug to fit.

I used this soldering paste.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:29:27 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »
Never tried the paste, will have to pick some up. I have some thin, may 1/16 diameter solder, solid no flux, its also lead free. I was very skeptical of it but decided to try it. I take a hammer and flatten it very thing on a smooth steel block I have in the shop. Take a can of 40 year old soldering flux (it looks like axle grease) and smear on both sides that are to be joined. Then I put the flattened solder between them, then put a spring clamp on and heat the barrel from the opposite side. Has worked well, especially since I learned to use a smaller piece of solder so there is very little surplus to run out the sides!

Have done two smooth bores and a set of thimbles for a half-stock like this and so far they are holding great.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
The paste is going on my list of things to try.  I actually like to solder, but the "new" lead-free stuff doesn't work nearly as well for me as the good old stuff (I'm about out of a backup spool), due to a combination of higher temperature and just seems harder to get to flow.  I suspect that if you work with it every day, it is manageable, but it does seem to increase the level of difficulty for the occasional task, esp. on lighter material.  On the plus side, it seems a lot stronger.  I would also like to try the Tix low-temp solder, but I'm not sure how strong it is, unless you have a large contact area.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »
  Eric,
   You tin both pieces, right?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »
Yep, both pieces.

Here is some info on what I used;

Specially formulated for plumbing applications and heavy-duty soldering work. Idealfor joining heavy metal parts in conditions where ordinary solder would fail. Five times stronger than ordinary solder, tensile strength: 10,000 to 25,000 PSI. Flux is blended in, no additional flux required. Low melting point - flows smoothly at 430 F, provides strength without the distortion of high temperature brazing. Finished joint is bright silver, and won't tarnish or blacken.for use with copper, brass, stainless steel, nickel, and bronze. Contains no lead, cadmium, or antimony

Harnic

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:04 AM »
I've been using Brownell's Hi-Force 44 solder for almost 40 years now for most of my gun related soldering & it's great! It flows very smoothly at 475°F & contains only tin & silver... non-toxic!  Give it a try! http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=709/Product/HI_FORCE_44_trade__SOLDER
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:45:38 AM by Harnic »