Author Topic: Re-Barrel a flintlock  (Read 2532 times)

Muleskinner

Re-Barrel a flintlock
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
I have a 45 cal flintlock rifle that I want to re-barrel to a 40 cal,the 45 caliber barrel is badly pittedd but the rest of the gun looks great the barrel on the rifle now is a 13/16",I am guessing I can use the parts from the 45 barrel can be used on the 40 cal barrel?,also any suggestions on someone who can do this for me?

Offline BJH

Re: Re-Barrel a flintlock
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
The rebarrel job isn't that difficult. You may be able to reuse the breech plug, maybe not. A straight 13/16 barrel dose not present too many problems.  After breeching the barrel, new underlugs and layout/instalation of touch hole liner, and sights. Install the underlugs in as exact a position as you can using the old barrel as a guide. Clamp the barrel in the stock and drill the cross pin holes carefully, as well as the tang if you were not able to reuse the origional breech plug. Then slot the lugs and brown the barrel. Not that difficult just a bit time consumeing, espicially if you can't reuse the old breech plug.   BJH
BJH

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
Hi Muleskinner,

As BJH said, shouldn't be too difficult.  Just curious, is this an old rifle or a contemporary (1950+) one?  Who made it?  Barrel length?

As for suggesting someone to do the job, what is your general location?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

LehighBrad

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:37 PM »
I just did the same re-barrel job on a rifle of mine....I took out the .45 cal. 13/16 straight barrel and replaced it with a .40 cal 13/16 straight Green Mountain barrel. After installing the under lugs and sights of course. It was a breeze. I was even able to re-use the original under lug pins. I had to enlarge the barrel's tang inlet just a bit....which is what I expected I'd have to do...so the new barrels tang would fit in nicely. Now she's ready to go "bark" some tree rats!! :D Almost forgot...I did draw file and polish the five barrel flats that are showing so the barrel doesn't look so rough. That's it...it'll patina just like my .45 barrel did in a few seasons and all will be right with the world again. ;)

Muleskinner

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
Thanks guys......Flinter sent you a PM