Author Topic: REPAIRING BUTT PLATE  (Read 3668 times)

Offline hortonstn

REPAIRING BUTT PLATE
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:32:30 PM »
while cleaning up a brass butt plate i noticed a small hole on the rt ft side,next to the wood when i filed it to remove a larger hole appeared i guess a sand cast air pocket needless to say i can't do pictures,anyone have a solution to this, howto repair?
thanks paul

Black Hand

Re: REPAIRING BUTT PLATE
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
Hopefully you have a piece of a casting sprue from the butt plate.  I would repair the hole by drilling it out and slightly countersinking the upper and lower holes.  A piece of the casting sprue (or some other material with a good color match) would be made into a pin slightly longer than the hole and both ends peened over to lock it in (alternate ends to keep it even when peening).  Dress it off with a file and the hole is plugged.  In many cases, the fix is invisible unless you know exactly where to look, and even then it is hardly noticeable.  I might suggest annealing either the steel or brass used as the pin to soften it.

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
I've filled small casting holes with solder.  You wouldn't think it, but it's really hard to see after it's dressed off.

Greg
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
I've filled small casting holes with solder.  You wouldn't think it, but it's really hard to see after it's dressed off.

Greg
That's how I do my repairs also.  I have heard that this was a traditional fix on the older guns.
Dave

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
I've always used brazing rod to do this - however you have to be very carefull with the oxy/acc. not to get the brass casting too hot or it will end up as a glob molten metal on the floor. ;)   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
thanks for your responce, i'll try it
paul

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I wonder if you could get real fine brass filings to bond or mix in with the solder ?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:02:59 AM »
A acetylene welding torch with a small tip, some borax and some brass can be used to weld it shut.
Smaller holes can be fixed by silver soldering in a plug of brass.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine