Author Topic: Barrel Find  (Read 3889 times)

huckfinn

Barrel Find
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
Need some help here fellas.  Got a barrel here from an old timer.  Want to post some pictures but dial up really stinks.  I will describe it to you as best I can.  It is 42 1/8 inches long.  1 1/16 across the flats at both ends with slight swamp in the middle.  On the bottom barrel flat it says "H.W. Deeds".  On the top barrel flat it is engraved with "D.B."  Looks to be maybe .45 caliber with seven lands and grooves, deep cut rifling.  It has four tennons for barrel wedge keys.  Small front brass sight and unusual rear sight with a movable insert.  Large hole in the breech end for touchhole liner. 
     Anyone ever hear of "H.W. Deeds"?  Unfortunately the rest of the rifle is gone.  What would you build with it? 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Barrel Find
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
The large hole at the breech is more likely left over from removing a drum and nipple arrangement.

With that much iron, you could send it to Ed Rayl and have him ream it and re-rifle it.  As it is, I wouldn't use it in a rifle.  The bore is bound to be very rough.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

huckfinn

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »
D. Taylor,
    Good idea, the rifling is deep cut but the crown is rough.  It would make a great .54 or .58 caliber if it could be re rifled.  I have got to post some pictures you guys will love this barrel.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
Finndog,

I'm traveling so I don't have access to my library.  However, I believe HW Deeds was a barrel maker in the Berks County area in the early 1800's.  The book by Patrick Hornberger on the Berks County Historical Society exhibit on Berks County longrifles has information on barrel makers from that area, among them HW Deeds.  Maybe someone who has the book handy can weigh in here.

I don't recall the exact dates when HW Deeds was active.  I have a signed John Shell (Dauphin County, PA) barrel marked HW Deeds on the bottom flat near the breech.  Thus, given Shell's career, your barrel is likely from the early to mid 1800's.  Whether it is in any condition to shoot is something you will have to determine.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
In an old barrel of unknown quality steel/iron, I would not make the bore any bigger than necessary to clean it up.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »
Finndog,

The book Arms Makers of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania by Wood and Whisker, lists a Henry Deeds (1811-1888) as a rifle barrel maker and gunsmith. About 1838 Cornelius Reichwein opened a gunshop, in which Deeds worked for many years.  In the 1850 Census of Industry, Deeds employed 2 hands and made 3000 gun barrels valued at $4875.  In the 1860 census he made 1100 rifle barrels valued at $1375. There are some additional details in the book but 1860 is the last date mentioned.  

A. Merwyn Carey's American Firearms Makers lists "Deeds, H.W., about 1775.  Shop located at Reading, PA, made flintlock rifles."  That is all Carey wrote.

It could be that H.W. was Henry's father.  Or could be Carey's date is incorrect and they are the same man.

-Ron
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:33:27 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

huckfinn

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »
Thanks to all that posted information on the barrel I have.  The initials on the top of the barrel have a number of dots next to them.  They look like well placed chisel cuts resembling a period.  There are four next to the "D" and three next to the "B".  I couldn't help but wonder..... ;)