Author Topic: Question on inletting black  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Question on inletting black
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »
I am practicing inletting parts on scrap pieces before I start my first project.  I am using candle soot for inletting.  I am wondering what I am supposed to be looking for.  I will see black spots that I remove to get it seated, but I never can get it to where I see a "solid" impression.  I have one piece now that I have inlet that seems to be great, it doesn't wobble in the space, is flush with where I want it to be, but it does not leave a black impression at all.  So what should I look for?

Coryjoe

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
Re: Question on inletting black
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
Coryjoe,

When we soot a part for inletting the layer of soot on the part will be approximately .0005" to maybe .002" thick.  For you to get a solid black deposit over any appreciable area will require that the depth be the same, within that range, over the entire surface.  This is tough to achieve!  While I use scrapers to smooth-out the bottoms of inlets I rarely see large expanses of black.  Some times where you have the ability to torque down a screw the wood will compress and you will see solid black.  I try to achieve uniform coverage of black but recognize that we can reach the point of diminishing returns one we pass the 50% coverage point.  As the wood compresses over time the uniformity of contact will improve.

Best Regards,

JMC

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
It's been my experience that there are times where you can not tell where the high spot is. like side plates and locks and nose caps and butt plates and barrels. Just try to get it close then black the piece and try it. If there is a black mark remove it a little and try the piece again. When it fits like you want STOP. That's all there is to it ;D

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
Candle soot is ok, but soot from an aceteylene torch mixed with hand cream ( easy on the hand cream) is really great to work with.
It paints on nice and even, and you can get it in tight spots and corners.
Have a great day!
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!