Author Topic: Patchbox Latch Spring  (Read 4950 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Patchbox Latch Spring
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
I'm building a Beck rifle and I want to use the whaletale box design. I'm a little stumped with the spring for the latch. I have Alexanders book and it's got a good explanation of the mechanics of the thing, from Beyer's design very close to Becks from what I can tell. I have a piece of steel and will be trying to make my own spring. My steel is 1/8" x 1" x 1'. I think I can cut and form a  reasonable spring from this. Problem is I have never made a spring that worked. Can I do this with a propane torch, or a Mapp torch or must I have a forge? Next, when (if) I get the spring made, can I solder on the head without screwing up the temper? It probably does not need to be real strong, not a lock spring, just a simple latch spring.

Lastly, if all else fails does anyone know of a retailer who makes and sells these simple springs. Similar to the sliding wood pb springs but with a different head design. Or would one of those springs work if I was to reshape a head (button) and solder it to a spring?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Patchbox Latch Spring
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
This is a Beck rifle I built for Canvasback/Leatherbelly, et al.
It is not a simple spring.  And I believe mild steel would work just fine,  as it does not have to move far, and without much tension or compression.
The button on the end is forged on - not soldered on, and is filed on the inside edges so that it fits flat against the butt plate.  The rectangular hole through the butt plate is smaller than the head, which hides it.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
Taylor
That is exactly what I want to do, patchbox and all. Beautiful work I must add. I hope mine comes out half as good.

I realize that the original button was forged on, but I thought that if i cut a square hole and rivit/soldered the button on it would work as well and still look similar enough to pass. I was wondering about mild steel working, I'll give it a try.

Taylor, just curious does that hole in the front end of the patchbox serve any purpose?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
Micah, I used a regular bolt and forged it out. That gave me a large enough head to file to shape.  I don't think soldering a head on is a good idea.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »
Micah, I used a regular bolt and forged it out. That gave me a large enough head to file to shape.  I don't think soldering a head on is a good idea.

What I was thinking of doing was cutting a square mortis through the button then making a tenon on the spring and riviting the the spring through the button and filing smooth. should be invisible and very strong. A little solder swetted in if needed will stop any movement in the button.

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
Just a thought for patch box release springs:

I have been using horse shoe nails for material to make patch box releases. Particularly for wooden patch boxes but they could be used for the one in the picture.  A no. 12 nail gives plenty of material to file and bend to shape.  They're cheap, about 8 cents apiece;  shape and bend easily, and since they're not highly deflected or loaded, they don't need to be heat treated.

Dave Dolliver

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:31 AM »
Micah, that's a prayer hole.  The owner would write out his favourite psalm or biblical verse, roll the paper up and put it into the hole.  It's about 2 1/2" deep IIRC.
D. Taylor Sapergia

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:54:10 AM »
Micah, that's a prayer hole.  The owner would write out his favourite psalm or biblical verse, roll the paper up and put it into the hole.  It's about 2 1/2" deep IIRC.

Very cool Taylor,
Never saw one of those. Was that something that was done in the old days, or a new inovation?

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
I've seen it in Leigh rifles from right around the turn of the 19th Century.
D. Taylor Sapergia