Author Topic: 18th century British Military stock finish  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Artificer

18th century British Military stock finish
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
I found this recently and thought some folks would like to see it.

This is from Cuthbertson's system for the complete interior management and oeconomy of a Battalion of Infantry that was first published in 1768.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1SxEAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=bee's%20wax&f=false

On Pages 91 and 92, here is the text some will find interesting:

"the stock (after scraping it extremely smooth) must be brought to as clear a polish, as the nature of wood will possibly allow; a little bee's wax, joined to the labour of the soldier to rub it on, will soon accomplish a point, which, if executed with due attention to the whole, will produce a most pleasing effect....."

In the footnote it also reads

"By going to some little expense, it will not be difficult to bring the stocks of the firelock to one uniform colour, by staining them either black, red or yellow; and then laying on a VARNISH (emphasis mine with capital letters), to preserve them always in a glossy, shining condition."

Gus
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:53:45 PM by Artificer »

Offline Artificer

Re: 18th century British Military stock finish
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Folks, sorry I had to edit the quote above so much before I got it right.  I had eye surgery a couple weeks ago and still can't see out of my left eye. 

Cuthbertson was a veteran of the French and Indian War and first wrote this shortly after it's conclusion. 

I also realize that what the British military was doing does not necessarily apply to civilian gunmakers in Colonial America.  However, the military would have learned these things from gunsmiths and possibly even instrument or cabinet makers. 
Gus

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
That is a very interesting find, Gus!  Thanks for taking the trouble to post it.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
That is a very interesting find, Gus!  Thanks for taking the trouble to post it.

You are most welcome.  I was especially surprised at the staining and varnish mentioned in the footnote. 
Gus

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
Gus - varnish is one of the most common of stock finishes for the period - either linseed oil based type or spirit based.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
Gus - varnish is one of the most common of stock finishes for the period - either linseed oil based type or spirit based.

So, would the spirit based be shellac?
Psalms 144

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »
Documents are always subject to interpretation but I found it interesting that the varnish was in a footnote and introduced by the statement "By going  to some little expense..."
To me it sounds like the stain and varnish was not the standard practice. The paragraph in the main text refers to having the soldiers rub on beeswax as though that was what was usually done.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Jay Close

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:53 AM »
And, Gary, there is the documentation for bees wax as a gun finish in the 18th c.!! ;D

Offline Artificer

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »
Documents are always subject to interpretation but I found it interesting that the varnish was in a footnote and introduced by the statement "By going  to some little expense..."
To me it sounds like the stain and varnish was not the standard practice. The paragraph in the main text refers to having the soldiers rub on beeswax as though that was what was usually done.

Gary

Gary, I definitely agree the way stain and varnish was mentioned means it was something only done if the Commanding Officer of the Regiment authorized it and that means either the CO paid for it or they took it out of stoppages of the pay of the soldiers by some method.  Cuthbertson goes into great detail on pay stoppages of the soldiers for things we expect to be free to soldiers today.
Gus

Offline Artificer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »

Was it common on British Military Firelocks? 
Gus