Author Topic: late lancaster final shaping.  (Read 2947 times)

uplandhunter

late lancaster final shaping.
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
can I see some pics of a finished late lancaster? I want to see how much wood is left around the barrel channel on a finished late lancaster. thanks!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: late lancaster final shaping.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
Andover, Vermont

uplandhunter

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:19 PM »
I only found two top down views and they were not very good. so does any one want to take a few new pics???

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
I don't think this dimension is all that much school-specific (The final shape, and therefore the apparent thickness, is). The maximum thickness of the wood along the sides of the barrel in the forearm is determined by the thickness of the lock bolster because the lock panels must drop down some to stand proud of the forearm.   After that, there is some wiggle room for thickness.  1/8" is about where I'd end up I guess but I don't start there.  I saw it with at least 1/16 extra left on for squaring and for early construction stages like drilling for nails for the thimbles and underlugs.  Then I plane it smooth and even with a little extra left on to be removed during final rounding.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:41:32 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »
What is "late"? 1870?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »
No picture, because I assume you know the shape.

On a Casper Fordney, mid way down the barrel, the barrel measures .880" and the forearm 1.140". So the forearm is about .130" thick on either side of the barrel.
On another rifle, the barrel measures .876", and the forearm 1.052" That's only about .088" of wood on either side of the barrel.

John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:02:12 AM »
Right.  So on one, the wood is over 1/8" thick along the barrel mid way, and on the other, it's less than 3/32".  So, you can see that there is no hard and fast rule here.  You may be making it more complicated than you need to.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.