Author Topic: Advice Needed on Redo of Holes in GPR Buttplate  (Read 3868 times)

Mattole

Advice Needed on Redo of Holes in GPR Buttplate
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
Thought I would start this as a new topic rather than it have it disappear at the bottom of my previous GPR thread.

I am about to resume work on the Lyman GPR rebuild, and was wondering about a suggestion I received to weld closed and redrill the existing countersunk holes in the buttplate (see photo below). What kind of hole size should I redrill it with, and what size and type of screw should I use?

Welding and redrilling the holes in the buttplate sounds rather precarious, but I would indeed prefer to center the hole in the buttplate rather than have it so asymmetrical, as it is now.

Many thanks, as always.

Kevin

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Advice Needed on Redo of Holes in GPR Buttplate
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »
I'll be honest with you here. It doesn't look bad in it's current location.
Psalms 144

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
Leave it right where it is.  Much less chance of splitting the toe. I like to relieve the first half of the hole. then drill the rest for the screw and put a gob of paste wax on the screw before instalation.   Twerks for me.  Cheers .  Bob

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »
Good afternoon Kevin;  After checking my western style guns (2). I think, after the butt plate has been cut to size, the location of the screw well  be pleasing to your eye. Good luck on your rebuild. Turkeyfooter.   I use a bar of soap to lube the wood screw before installation. Slide the screw over the bar of soap.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Mattole

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:05:37 PM »
Thank you fellows, you saved me from a labor-intensive and unnecessary task. Now if I can just figure out how to drill the holes correctly - I have tried 4 times and each attempt has resulted in the holes being at not-quite the right angle..

38_Cal

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
You can get a self-centering drill bit, that uses a spring loaded sleeve over that bit to engage into the screw head couontersink in the buttplate.  It's intended for drilling for door hinge screws, better hardware stores should have it.

David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:11:48 AM »
For easier screw installation, I made a tap for cutting the threads. Then installation of the real screw requires much less force.

This is a weird screw I used, and turned the tap on the lathe. But you can use a standard BP screw brazed to a shank, then a flat ground on one side to make a cutting edge and room for chips. The harder the wood, the more important it is to tap it. Also the screw close to the toe tends to split, so a pre-tap helps a lot.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:13:21 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 06:48:48 AM »
Always something new on the forum everyday to learn!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Don’t get Snake Bit!!! But if you do…