Author Topic: slant breech  (Read 5610 times)

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
slant breech
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »
I keep reading about this slant breech.  It seems like a silly question, but until you have encountered any particular thing it is unknown to you.  So just what is a slant breech.  I just can't seem to picture it in my mind.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Dave B

Re: slant breech
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:57:50 AM »
The majority of the Hawken rifles being made today have slant breach faces. The Early standing breaches were straight and some were just fixed. this is an early style Hawken I built it has a fixed patent breach

This one is a straight faced hook breach

Here is an original with a slant breach

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:16:34 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
Look at track of the wolf's online catalog. They have pictures of their hawken style breeches. Straight breeches are at 90 degrees to the barrel, a slant breech is "undercut" you might say. A slant breech is an improvement over the straight in that it should work a little more smoothly- the bottom corner shouldn't dig into the barrel channel as much.

Offline volatpluvia

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
Okay,
I might be blind, but I can't see the difference.  And I don't understand what was replied.  It is likely that I just haven't been introduced enough to the subject, having spent almost all my building/shooting years on flinters and older ignitions systems.
volatpluvia

BTW: Thanks for the pics.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10:42 PM »
The pics are nice but don't show what makes them different.  The slant versus straight refers to the rear face of the breach plug and the mating front face of the tang.  On a straight breech that face is vertical (perpendicular to the barrel axis).  On the slant breech its not.  The bottom edge will be closer to the front of the rifle than the top edge.   Look at PLUG-LRF-15-5  and PLUG-FH-16-5 in Tracks catalog.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
Vol, if you look close at the pic's you will see a break line in the snail, where it is actually two pieces of the breach casting.  On one the break is vertical, and on the slant it is angled right to left, top to bottom.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

westerner

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:53:02 PM »
Here are two pictures of a slant breech, breech plug.  

Joe.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:56:48 PM by westerner »

Offline volatpluvia

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:10 AM »
Thanks guys, and joe for the close up pics.  I now know what a slant breach is.  And as one of you said I can see how it could ease the removal and reinstallation of the barrel into the wood. 
Thanks to all for your attempts to make me understand.
volatpluvia

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
Okay,
I might be blind, but I can't see the difference.  And I don't understand what was replied.  It is likely that I just haven't been introduced enough to the subject, having spent almost all my building/shooting years on flinters and older ignitions systems.
volatpluvia

BTW: Thanks for the pics.

Check the TOW site.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline RobertS

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
Great thread, I had wondered the same thing, just never got around or asking!

Offline whitebear

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:06:25 AM »
Thanks guys, and joe for the close up pics.  I now know what a slant breach is.  And as one of you said I can see how it could ease the removal and reinstallation of the barrel into the wood. 
Thanks to all for your attempts to make me understand.
volatpluvia

Glad we could help, The old mossy horns here love to help people.  I didn't chime in because the others had already said what I would have said.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot