Author Topic: Who made barrels for Dixie Gun Works?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline gibster

Who made barrels for Dixie Gun Works?
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:54:50 AM »
Does anyone know who made barrels for Dixie Gun Works in the 70's and 80's.  I have a rifle that from what I understand, was made late 70's to early 80's with one of their barrels.  It is listed in the for sale section and would like to be able to answer this question should it come up.  Thanks.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Who made barrels for Dixie Gun Works?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »
For what rifles? Their Tn. Mtn. rifles and the barrels were made in Japan. These barrels were sold separetly as well. The PA deluxe kit barrels were Douglas. Other kits and guns were by different manufactures.

Offline TPH

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »
If you mean the barrels that they sold for building rifles (not the barrels on their import guns) then I had always been told that they were made by Douglas but I am far from certain about that.
T.P. Hern

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »
I have a 40cal with Turner Kirkland's name on it, the barrel was made in Belgium.  Great shooter.

Rich

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:02:27 AM »
My 1969 catalog lists Numrich and Douglas for sale separately.  The basic KY and PA kits had Belgium barrels and sometimes Spain/Italian based on what Turner was able to buy lately.  These European barrels could also be purchased separately along with barrel blanks.  A 42" Douglas 13/16" straight oct. in .45 sold for $36.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:08:49 AM »
I had a .40 caliber off-hand rifle made in  Belgium.  It was the first "good" muzzle loader I ever bought.  I have also bought quite a few Numrich barrels and several Douglas barrels. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline gibster

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:30:18 PM »
Called Dixie Gun Works and talked to the gunsmith about the barrel.  (Thanks for the tip to call them Daniel.)  He told me that they got their barrels at the time from either Douglas or they were imported from Italy from Palmetto Barrel Company.   The imported barrels had Italian proof markings stamped on them.  I pulled the barrel and the only marks on it are Dixie Gun Works .40 cal.   I can’t say for sure that this rifle has a Douglas barrel or not.  This is just the information that Dixie gave me.  I do know that the barrel has a mirror bore and have no doubt that it will be a good shooter.

roamer

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:43 AM »
You bet they were made in Japan . The Tennessee was my 1st gun kit ,Disapointed when I saw the stamp Japan and yet it has been very reliable

chapmans

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 03:45:16 AM »
I have a 13/16 .32 stamped Dixie Gun Works by the breech, the muzzle tells me it's a Douglas it is stamped .32  1-66 just like all Douglas barrels and it's still full length around 44" long, I can also tell by looking at the rifling.
I am confident mine is a Douglas from being around them so many years.
  Regards, Steve Chapman