Author Topic: Trigger guard / your thoughts  (Read 6665 times)

greybeard

Trigger guard / your thoughts
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
A few days ago I put this pic up on my home page, and now every time I open my PC I'm
Thinkin its kinda a bit ugly. Too late now but what are  your thoughts???

Offline Glenn

Re: Trigger guard / your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
Looks great to me.  Beautiful gun and metalwork.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
I'm not a fan of that extra spur.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
greybeard,

That extra spur is not big enough to be a finger grip.  (Like the Ohio guns) So what's it for??  Seems like it would just snag on clothes, brush, etc.  You could always just file it off.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
Just because you asked, I think your patchbox looks a bit bulky near the hinge area. I think the patchbox side plates could have been wide at the buttplate ( as they are ) then tapering down towards the hinge area.

If you didn't ask I'd say that's a fine rifle you've got there.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
greybeard,

That extra spur is not big enough to be a finger grip.  (Like the Ohio guns) So what's it for??  Seems like it would just snag on clothes, brush, etc.  You could always just file it off.
Yes that happens regular.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »
Since the title of your post was about the guard I'll just comment on it. The flowing line from the front of the bow back through the griprail to the rear spur is very attractive. However, as already pointed out, the little extra spur just distracts from that line.

I think an even more troublesome problem with the guard is the location and form of the rear of the bow. It seems too far forward (crowding the rear trigger) and it is just "suspended in air." Usually the primary bow of the guard is close to or actually touching the trigger plate. The guard could have been placed a quarter of an inch or more toward the rear and that would have helped but it looks like the bow is just too small for that big rear trigger. Perhaps you felt forced to bend the guard out to clear it.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
Good eyes.  The rear trigger could be shortened and reshaped a littleand the guard bent upward some at the end of the bow.  The rail might have to come off the stock a little more to accomplish that.  But I find it hard to reshape (bend) a finished guard without getting some wobbles or waves in it that are hard to get out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »
I would have liked to see the bow flattened somewhat to be closer to the bottom of the triggers. Not too late to lose the spur, but very difficult to adjust an already inlet guard. Also get one of the colored crayons meant for touching up scratches on furniture and fill in the pin holes so the shiny end of the pin is covered.

I have the same problem; I will sit down and find things that are wrong with my finished gun and spend weeks pondering why I could not see that earlier. Good news is that it gives inspiration for the next build.  ;D ;D ;D

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Just because you asked, I think your patchbox looks a bit bulky near the hinge area. I think the patchbox side plates could have been wide at the buttplate ( as they are ) then tapering down towards the hinge area.

If you didn't ask I'd say that's a fine rifle you've got there.
Tom;    I realise what you say bout the P Box. It's a design error on my part and once in TOO LATE.
That being said I am reasonably happy with the box as it is not too busy with my engraving.
Thanks a bunch for our comments     Bob

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
Bob- I'd hoped you wouldn't ask about that ugly guard!

Naaaaa - just kidding, looks fine to me, although I would file off that spur.  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:18:39 PM by Daryl »

greybeard

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 05:06:23 AM »
Bob- I'd hoped you wouldn't ask about that ugly gaurd!

Naaaaa - just kidding, looks fine to me, although I would file off that spur.  :)
[/quote

Yes Daryl;   The guard will be gone once I get one of those round tuits.
Thanks buddy.       Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »
What Gary said.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine