Author Topic: father and son Jaegers by blunderbuss  (Read 3867 times)

blunderbuss

father and son Jaegers by blunderbuss
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
I had an earlier post of my Jaeger .577 27 1/2 barrel I should have posted my son's too here it is a .32 boys rifle a miniture copy of mine . This is what my son learned to shoot with. The tradition in Texas was to start teaching a child to shoot at age 7 so this was his 7th birthday present . He shot it until he got big enough that it started to burn his hair, by that time he was a cracker jack with it.I wouldn't let him shoot anything else until he out grew it. He learned to shoot with the lock time of the flintlock so every thing except a matchlock would be down hill. When we went to the range I'd put up clay birds on card board we started out close maybe 10 yards and the next time we went I'd put it out 12 yards until the little bugger was hitting clay birds at 40=45 yards.

The end caps are differend as mine wore out and I replaced it with elk horn

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:44:58 AM by blunderbuss »

greybeard

Re: father and son Jaegers by blunderbuss
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »
Your son is a very fortunate young man.   I hope he is interested  in building as well.
Cheers    Bob

blunderbuss

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »

Yes Greybeard he is but right now he's 26 with a new job, house and new wife. He has the artistic ability and he's a designer by trade . I taught him ,some gun smithing while he was growing up. He doesn't have to make many he's heir to all of mine and I have about anything a guy could want.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
Good afternoon Sir; Very nice pair of guns, father-son. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Have a great week. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:29:41 AM »
Both guns are real cool Dennis and should give many years or excellent service even though they may have been shot for years.  I know you aint short on shooting so if they still look this good I'm sure they'll outlast a lot of us !!!   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

blunderbuss

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »

The little one is fun to shoot I call it a pocket rifle . It's hard to sholder if your not 7 years old  ,it's better held in one hand or like a cheek gun.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:47:09 AM »
This is what my son learned to shoot with. The tradition in Texas was to start teaching a child to shoot at age 7 so this was his 7th birthday present.

LOL ... You're right about this Dennis ... age 7 is the age here.  I was 7 when I popped my first cap but never made the connection until years later when I asked my father why all of a sudden one day he took me out shooting sometime after my 7th. birthday.  His response was simple; "That's when you're supposed to start shooting".  Amazaing ... Just about all the folks I grew up with starting shooting between 7 and 9.  Most all of us had our first shotguns by age  11 to 13.  I've been shooting ever since.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
Blunderbuss,

What is the barrel length on the little rifle ?  My   9yr  old wants to build his own ..  He's a little on the stocky side(takes after his mother)  I'm  6'6".  Don't want to make it too

Rich

blunderbuss

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »

The barrel length is 17" on the boy's rifle It's made from an old .32-20 winchester barrel I swamped the old barrel . I turned the barrel over and mounted the sights and left the Winchester name in tact on what now is the bottom.