Author Topic: George Shroyer rifle  (Read 16118 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Re: George Shroyer rifle
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:27 AM »
Nice work as always Ed. Like your accuracy with the 4 wedges and pins holding the patchbox side plates. At first your lock side plate  looked kind of heavy and squarish but after some review you were pretty accurate there also. 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 12:32:21 AM »
Wonderful, Ed.  Simply wonderful! 

I spent the last little while with George Shumway's book George Schreyer, Sr & Jr, Gunmakers of Hanover, York County, Pennsylvania on the desk next to the PC, open to pages 88-90, where No. 22 is pictured.  Ed you have done Ol' George proud.

I must echo Dr. Boone and commend you for requesting comments, critique, etc.  Your fine work and desire to continue learning set a fine example for we apprentices!

I do have a couple of questions.  Re, the rubbed back blueing technique.  I have tried it and mine is not very durable.  Maybe I'm not getting it dark enough before rubbing it back?  Or maybe I'm rubbing it back too much?  How does your hold up?  Can you suggest anything for me to try?  I certainly like the look of yours.

And on the patchbox release, did you use Schreyer's design with the catch spring riveted to the buttplate?

Congratulations on a wonderful piece.  What's next?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

ironwolf

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »
  VERY nicely done.

KW

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »
Thanks so much guys, greatly appreciated...

I used J. Whiskers book "Gunsmiths of York County", page 111 as a guide for this piece.  I don't know if the original had a brass or silver finial, but I went with German silver, which would make this a contemporary rifle.  I haven't weighed it, but it is rather light.  Length of pull is 13 1/2 - 13 5/8, I'd have to measure it again for the exact LOP, but its in that range.

doulos, wedges were more common on later, Golden Age rifles.  Not so much on earlier guns.

Ron, I haven't had any problems with the durability of a rubbed back cold blue.  I generally put at least a couple applications and try to get it pretty dark before I rub it back.  The only issue I sometimes get is it likes to rust.  I've found that a linseed oil, honing oil, or liquid wax works well to stop this.  The patch box release is not riveted to the butt piece, just a spring in a cavity in the butt.

What's next?  A rifle for me!  Working on it now.  A walnut stocked Southern gun with a round toe and strong English influence.  I was hoping to get it done by Dixon's, but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

Thanks again, all!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 02:02:06 AM »
Really nice work Ed, looking forward to seeing the Walnut stocked Southern rifle, you've done extremely well with those northern rifles am sure you will do your southern heritage proud!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Habu

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »
Great rifle, Ed.  I like the way everything "comes together," leading the eye from one feature to the next.  Like Dan though, I keep coming back to the patchbox--that is just outstanding.

Jim

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
ed
that is a beautiful rifle,something to admire
thanks for posting it
paul

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 07:36:55 PM »
I don't know how I missed this post earlier.
You did a really great job on this rifle.
It seems really clean and crisp.
Marc

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Very nice rifle Ed and that is a killer piece of wood. I can not knock your workmanship for it does not get much better than what you have done. The only thing I would have done different would be to use silver on the finial instead of GS. A rifle of this caliber would justify the little extra expense. Again very nice job.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 04:09:42 AM »
Ed........you will probably shudder when you see me commenting on it.....ha.    I only wish I could say "I built it".   A real
nice, clean gun.   Everything flows real nice, good smooth finish.   The only thing I don't care for is the checkering at the
breech and behind the cheek piece, but, that's a small item, and that's just me.   I really like the carving behind the tang,
good Shroyer stuff..................Don

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 02:22:45 AM »
Thanks again all...

Don, I was holding my breath when I saw you commented, lol!  Seriously, thanks, that means a lot coming from you.  The checkering I got from the picture of the original I was going from.  First time I ever saw something like that around the tang, and thought I'd include it with the piece.  Looking forward to seeing you at Dixon's!

Ed
Ed Wenger