Author Topic: Barrel Stamps  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Barrel Stamps
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
With the understanding that there is no such thing as a stupid question here goes.  There was some discussion on here a while back about being careful when using a chisel on the barrel because you could dimple the barrel. 

Why don't barrel stamps cause such a problem?

Coryjoe

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Barrel Stamps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:20:12 PM »
They do. You can easily dimple the bore.

However, you can stamp directly over the breechplug, and your barrel will be OK.

this stamp was done 2" up from the breech plug, opposite from the lock. It's about 1/16 deep. I guess it had to have been done hot, with a mandrel in the bore. Then the tube was reamed and rifled.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:23:30 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »
However, you can stamp directly over the breechplug, and your barrel will be OK.
NOT!
You do that and your breech plug won't index properly anymore. Look at any/all period english prooof stamps, they are all just ahead of the breech plug.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »
Coryjoe; Great question. I have already learned good information. So far my barrel stamping has been just ahead of the breech plug area. Dump luck on my part I guess. Thanks for the question. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »
Actually, dimpling the bore "just ahead" of the breech plug is not a problem, since the ball never goes that far back, er, at least it's not suppose too  :-[.

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

mattdog

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
Dimpling the bore "just ahead" of the breech plug can present a problem.  Although the ball doesn't go that far down a cleaning jag does.  You ( or a customer) will feel a detent as the jag goes by it.  I unfortunately know this from experience. >:(

I recievd a brand new set of British proof stamps and in my excitement to test them I made a poor adjustment on my 3,000 lb. punch press.  About a 1/2 turn too far, and mashed the very first proof stamp about 3/32" deep.  Sure enough there was a .020" - .030" bulge (or dimple if you prefer) into the bore.  Darn it!  It was on a smoothbore barrel so I was able to hone it out to something acceptable but had to keep that barrel and use it on a gun for myself.