Author Topic: In search of swamped barrel  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Bart

In search of swamped barrel
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:25:12 AM »
I am starting a new build and looking for a small, thin, dainty, swamped or tapered barrel in .45 caliber. Any suggestions on a maker? I'm looking for a roundball twist-rate and would not want the breach end to be any larger that 13/16Th's.

Bart
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:27:44 AM by Bart »

Online bob in the woods

Re: In search of swamped barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »
????? - a  .45 cal with a 13/16th breach isn't going to have much of a swamp to it ! 
Honestly, you could just go with a 13/16th oct barrel, or....if dainty and small is your goal, how about Chamber's new " Little Feller's " rifle ?   Or....even smaller is Cabin Creek's [ Brad Emig ]  " Boy's Rifle"
These guns utilize true reduced size swamped barrels, which would give them wonderful balance.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:22:22 AM »
I am starting a new build and looking for a small, thin, dainty, swamped or tapered barrel in .45 caliber. Any suggestions on a maker? I'm looking for a roundball twist-rate and would not want the breach end to be any larger that 13/16Th's.

Bart

You are better off with a bigger breech.
It will make a better looking rifle, the lock will not look oversized to the breech and the breech is big enough to make things easier. Not as likely to have the mainspring in the rod hole for example.
If you MUST have a skinny breech, buy a 44" swamp and trim it 3"  at the breech and maybe one at the muzzle. Cheaper than a custom swamp.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »
Hi Bart,
If you must have a 13/16" barrel at the breech then I suggest you forget a swamped tube and get a straight 13/16" octagon.  At 45 cal, the 13/16" barrel cannot have much taper and flare so you aren't going to gain anything in appearance or balance but you will spend a lot more money.  The real value of a swamped barrel is that the mass is concentrated toward the breech giving it excellent balance compared to a straight barrel.  That effect will be lost in the barrel you seek.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
Hi Bart,

If you chose caliber 0.40 , you could probably get Rice to make 13/16 swamped rifle barrel.
Look at the A weight, Reading profile listed on Rice barrels website http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html
It's caliber 40 and the waist is 0.606.

13/16" = 0.8125"
0.8125" breech -  0.606 waist =  0.2065" reduction. This is about same swamping used on the J.C.Beck profile on the Rice chart(1.0"-0.812= 0.188").

By "tweeking" the Beck profile, you should be able to make a safe 42" long,  0.40 caliber barrel with this profile:
Breech 0.8125"|--------------27"-------------|Waist 0.609"|------9"------|waist 0.609"|-----6"------|Muzzle 0.700"
This would give you a little bit more swamping than the Beck profile. As for locks, you could use a small Siler or a L&R Bailes lock.

I'm building a long barreled pistol , caliber 0.40, breech 3/4", swamped as much as safely possible. The barrels 15" long and custom made by Ed Rayl. I'm using a small Siler lock.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Bart

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. Dan you've got a dead ringer there with the Little Feller's Rifle, the barrel profile is exactly what I need for my new build.. Maybe, I can get Barbie to bring one along with her to the CLA show in KY.

Kind regards

Bart

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
I don't have the dimensions handy, but I've seen an A weight .45 advertised, I think it was a colerain barrel and believe Stonewall Creek Outfitters had them?  Don't think they get much smaller and lighter than that profile in .45.   
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Collector

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
Bart,  Take a look at Rice's new offering, what they call their "Southern Classic."   It may be exactly what you're looking for.  Good luck!!

SuperCracker

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Bart,  Take a look at Rice's new offering, what they call their "Southern Classic."   It may be exactly what you're looking for.  Good luck!!

I was just about to post that I have a brand new Southern Classic in .50, along with a blank inletted for it by Knob Mountain. IIRC, the blank is about a #3 and pretty nice. Let me know if you'd be interested. It's a really nice barrel and very lightweight. i just have way too much $#@*.

Dims for the Southern Classic
Breech   =       15/16"
waist     =         3/4"
Muzzle   =       13/16"
Barrel wt. =      3 lbs 10 oz.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:14:32 PM by SuperCracker »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Super Cracker email sent
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bart

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:25 AM »
Thanks everyone, I am having the Rice Barrel Company to make a custom barrel for me.

Bart