Author Topic: new to building  (Read 4077 times)

hugh

new to building
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
Hey a newbie here to the site, been reading a lot here over the last few months but just joined. My question/ questions are I am building my first gun (other than a cva kit many years ago). It is a fowler that i have collected parts for. Stock is from pecatonica the ramrod hole is drilled and a 5/8 barrel channel, lock is an L&R, furniture is from TOTW. Any suggestions on inletting to finish will be greatly appreciated. Also I am trying to build something that my grandfather might have carried he was from North Carolina, Tenneessee area late 1700's early 1800's time frame. Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: new to building
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »
Get some books and videos on building the longrifle; also check out tutorials such as Mike Brooks has on another forum, but be sure to recognize that it's not possible to build a rifle well from online advice alone.  I'm not sure what your line of work is, but I doubt you could learn to do your job well by asking on a forum.  Ideally you need hands-on instruction.  Also the money you spend on books showing originals, and books explaining the sequences of building a rifleand some of the techniques, will pay off many times over.  The next piece of advice I'd offer is to practice, practice, practice.  Practice inletting a lock, a barrel, a buttplate, shaping lock panels.  Use firewood if you can't find anything else.  Musicians and athletes and artists all practice to become good at what they do before it's concert time, game time, or time to tackle that canvas.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:45:58 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

hugh

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
Oh, I forgot to say that it is going to be a fowler.

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Get a copy of Buchells book.  Bout $20.00.    Bob

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »
Came to the right place you did.

First off, learn to use the search function. It's alittle squirrely, but you can find about anything and then some in there. I'm pretty much in the same stage as you, and I have been aquireing little bits and pieces in addition to a kit. But I am going to spend some time practiceing skills like inletting before I tackle the kit. Like Rich said, get some hardwood and practice making a perfect inlet. Someone suggested a large octogon cold chisel to practice barrel inletting.

Make sure you have a basic tool kit.
A good, well lighted work area is probably the most important.

There are several books as mentioned, but I think most everything you might need is on the forum. The one thing I've been researching diligently lately is for images of muzzleloaders I find particularly appealing. It isnt easy. You need them to understand proportions, especially when you lack in artistic ability!

Oh and check the Tutorials, Lots of stuff there!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™   
Learn to Shoot, Break the Flinch!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

hugh

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Do have a couple of books and dvds, just wanting alot of insight and direction, and have taken some pictures of a original Wilson trade gun that a friend has. Have searched unsuccessfuly for picturs of original working mans fowler and have not really had any luck. If someone has pictures that would be great as I want it to be as correct as I can build it.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:36:57 PM »
Take a look at Mike's site here:  http://www.fowlingguns.com/brookskits.html
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

hugh

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, I will look into the books and the website.

dannybb55

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
One more bit of advice: Go slow, The greenest of green horns can make a masterpiece with plenty of time and patience. Experience translates into speed and production. Don't set a completion date, enjoy it. Another thing, Draw it out full size or get a full size drawing. Being able to work one to one is alot easier. That is how we build boats or any other complicated mechanism.
                                                   What part of NC y'all from?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »
You don't mention a barrel in your parts list.  Have you got one yet?
Inletting a barrel into that Pecatonica stock is going to be your hardest chore.
That 5/8ths groove is not a barrel channel (yet).  It just gives you a starting point to what will probably be an octagon/round, tapered and swamped fowler barrel.  Have fun with that.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson