Author Topic: Suggestions and direction on a smoothbore  (Read 6494 times)

wetzel

Suggestions and direction on a smoothbore
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
Gents,
I am trying to put together a build for this coming winter.  I am still a rookie, but have built a few rifles.  In thinking about what to make the idea occurred to me that maybe I should build a smoothbore.  I have never owned or shot a smoothbore gun and I don't know much about them.  I was hoping for some recommendations.  I would like to use the gun for the shotgun shoots at rendezvous, also to shoot a roundball for the target shoots and trail walks, and hunt deer or elk.  Maybe this is asking to much of one gun, but it sounds like smoothbores are fairly versatile.  I want to be able to carve, and engrave the gun, plus try out some wire inlay.  I don't know much about them so any recommended reading or where to research and learn would also be appreciated as I don't even know where to start.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Suggestions and direction on a smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
Grinslade's book Flintlock fowlers.  Pick your favorite and recreate it.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
What lucky RA said. I have this book an like it lots
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

wetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks guys, I found a soft copy on amazon for 31.00.  It looks like a great reference.  I ordered one and will study it.  Thank you.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »
Take a look at Mike Brooks Type G Trade Guns........ Trade guns were the common man's gun for birds, deer, bear and hostiles.  They are long and lite and fast to build.....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

wetzel

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:18:27 AM »
Thanks Dr. Tim-Boone.  I checked it out, great info. 

big AL

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:33:56 AM »
there is a good artical in NRA American Rifleman , Check wwwjaegerkorp.org/nra/neumann. the Fusil de Chase, ,20Ga.  cangive you 3" groups at 50 yds. with a patched round ball. O/H.

blunderbuss

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »

Currently I'm building an underhammer which is not only original but versatile and simple as well. One need only take one barrel off and put another one on, change to a rifle shot gun what ever. One of the ALR members sells them

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:54:39 AM »
Trade gun, 28 ga to 20ga., with a type "g" rear sight.  Good for about any thing. 28 ga. is good for rb. and targets and deer/b.bear, and small game with shot. 20 gage is just more of the same and a bit more efficient with shot. I have both.  BJH
BJH

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »
Not exactly sure what you're wanting, but this is a very comfortable design to shoot - round ball or shot.  It could easily be made in full stock, or 1/2 as this one is.  Because it's basically English design, it's wonderfully designed with the shooter in mind.  I think it's merely Track's Purdey profile -  they have the stock profile for sale.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »
Not exactly sure what you're wanting, but this is a very comfortable design to shoot - round ball or shot.  It could easily be made in full stock, or 1/2 as this one is.  Because it's basically English design, it's wonderfully designed with the shooter in mind.  I think it's merely Track's Purdey profile -  they have the stock profile for sale.

Nice gun.  :)
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

wetzel

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »
Daryl thanks for the pictures, sure looks like a pleasant shooter.  I'm hoping to build something a little fancier, you know, lots of carving and engraving, plus some wire inlay.  I found a 62 caliber Colerain smoothbore, octagon to round 38" barrel that I think I will pick up and continue to research for the rest of the parts. The barrel seems safe enough for most directions this gun could go.  Ryan Roberts from Muzzleloader Builders supply showed me a really neat looking gun from rifles of colonial america.  I'm not sure on the page, but will post it when I can talk to him next.   

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »
Sounds like you need to build a rifle.Fowlers generally speaking,were more plain.Great architecture,but fewer embellishments.Grinslade's book is great.

blunderbuss

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 03:15:44 AM »

With all due respect Canvasback, Anything back then could have been decorated I have an original picture of a blunderbuss with at least 9 miles of brass wire in it who'd a thought anyone would have done that to a blunderbuss? That's what gave me the idea to do mine. Go for it  wetzel and with the great architecture of a fowler it should be a super fine piece.
You do know when you get it done you'll never take it hunting :)

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 04:12:25 AM »
Dayrl; Fine looking gun. It has been a long time but the pictures remind me of a 10 Ga. kit offered in 1977 by Sharon Barrel Co. Not to imply this gun looks like a kit, just reminds of the past. Thanks for the pictures and the memories. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
Made by a fellow called Henkeler - anyone know him? It is well built.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:22:25 PM by Daryl »