Author Topic: What Iron/Steel Was Used in 18th c. Locks?  (Read 4536 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
What Iron/Steel Was Used in 18th c. Locks?
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
  It is my understanding that firelocks made and sold by the English and Germans had all parts case hardened, with the exception of the springs. What were the tumblers and sears made from? Wrought, plain iron, or low/mild steel?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: What Iron/Steel Was Used in 18th c. Locks?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:25:11 AM »
My understanding is that high quality wrought iron was used for all parts except springs.  Gary Brumfield will know for sure.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42:13 AM »
For the most part, everything was wrought iron, case hardened often, except the steel springs and the steel face of the frizzen.
"Wrought Iron" is nearly pure iron, simiar to today's 1008 steel, from which "black iron wire", a hardware store item, used to be made. The difference is that there is a considerable amount of slag in wrought iron, essentially strings of calcium silicate glassey stuff mixed with iron oxide. It is the slag which makes wrought iron (relatively) easy to forge weld.
But it is soft, so to get one's tumbler, sear, bridle, lockplate hard enough for use, that 18th century hardware was "casehardened"  Packed in charcoal, maybe wood, maybe bone, maybe charred leather, likely some mix of two or more of these. Heated a nice red for at least an hour, then dumped into a pot of water.
Late 18th and early 19th century English and maybe American locks may have used "cast steel" for internal parts. Cast steel of the time did not mean it was a casting, it simply translates to something more or less like modern plain carbon steel, maybe 1060 or 1095.
"Steel" in 18th century England meant a couple of different things. The most common was made by case-hardening wrought iron skelps in a large pack for about a day at bright red heat, say 1750F give or take quite a bit. Eventually the bar got carbon soaked most all the way through and became "blister steel", still full of the slag it had as wrought iron. Various grades of steel were made by shearing these skelps to shorter lengths, bundling them together and forging the bundle into one piece, to give it somewhat more uniform carbon. That was "shear steel". This, and the cruder blister steel, were used well into the 19th century.
About 1740 in Sheffield, England Mr. Huntsman learned how to put several pieces of blister steel into a curcible, and using techniqes learnt from his pottery friends, actually melt it. Poured into an ingot, the slag floated to the top and he got an ingot of more or less uniform high carbon steel. Being able to actually melt and cast steel was  a new thing to the English (the Indians had been doing it for well over a thousand years by then) so this "cast steel" was all the rage. Made good tools and springs. Later on a "decarbonized cast steel" was made, low enough in carbon that it could be used for pistol barrels. Allen & Thurber pepperboxes were an early example, all being marked "CAST STEEL"  Sam Colt bought his cast steel from Firth, for revolver barrels and cylinders.
The Germans had some different process for making good steel, but unfortunately I am not familiar with it.
Glad I could help confuse you.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
"For the most part, everything was wrought iron, case hardened often, except the steel springs and the steel face of the frizzen." J C Kelly.

So you're saying the frizzens were half soled when first made?

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:19:23 PM »
Frizzens were, I believe for the most part, forged of wrought iron with a steel face forge welded or brazed on. One example is this lock on a very late Pennsylvania rifle. And yes, this particular lock may simply have been used so much that the gunsmith had to braze on a piece of steel to reface it. Can't tell if this face is a repair or as-orignally manufactured. I have a couple other examples, usually common grade English pistols that don't photograph so well. In a good forge weld, such as in military guns, the joint will not be visible.

I have heard, maybe third-hand, that Williamsburg gunsmiths have old records saying some frizzens were just carburized wrought iron. I personally have not seen the information so cannot comment.
Also, steel was expensive so it was more economical to make the frizzen of iron & face it with steel. Like most all old cutting tools, which are made of wrought iron with a bit of steel welded into the working edge.

Except to get a deep case (not what you do with Kasenit) one needs to leave the iron in the charcoal pack for several hours. At some point this will raise blisters on the wrought iron. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
Others, particuarly Gary Brumfield, would be more qualified to comment than me, but here are my thoughts.  First, I'll say that I beleive the majority of frizzens were simply carburized wrought iron.  I don't have definitive proof, but here are some things to consider. 

The vast majority of original frizzens show no visual evidence of a steel face.  Most have relatively thin edges and look very different from the example JC Kelly showed.  Further, the vast majority again display no variation in corrosion etc. which would identify a steel face.  This is very commonly seen in period edged tools where a steel face welded to an iron body.  If steel faces were routinely employed I would expect to see this evidence as commonly as it is seen in these edged tools.

I don't believe the entire frizzen was commonly steel either.   This would be costly and I've not seen variations in patina / corrosion that would suggest a difference in material between the frizzen and remaining parts.

I believe, most if not all of those who have made locks using what they beleive to be traditional materials and techniques, feel that carburized wrought iron was the standard process employed.  An added point suporting this conclusion is that a frizzen made in this manner works well.  I don't believe blistering is an issue with common carburizing temperatures and hold times.  A frizzen made in this manner would be the cheapest in terms of material cost and labor.

I am not aware of any metallurgical testing that has confirmed any of these conclusions, but as a whole, these points make a good case for the use of carburized wrought iron.

Jim

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »
  Thankyou you all for the info and your time. Very interesting and informative. Thanks again. Wick Ellerbe.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:12:38 AM »
I think you already got the right answers to your question but for background you might find this web article interesting.

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/ironandsteel.htm

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
  Thankyou Gary.