Author Topic: LePage  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Captchee

LePage
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:38 AM »

ok so finaly im finished with this .
 now please understand  that a photographer im not . but here the LePage is

the box is oiled teak  with dark blue velvet
 Stock is purple hart “as per customer “ this will continue to darken with age tell it become a very deep dark purple
Barrel is a 11 inch Douglas of 45 Cal “cal as per customer “ Fluted by me .
Breech , tang and all hardware you see , I have built. This includes the lock, single set trigger , TG,
Pommel final and plate .
 Loading rod is purple hart and ebony with sculpted iron tip
Cleaning jag is sterling and  twisted iron

Offline Captchee

Re: LePage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
 sorry one of the photos above makes it look like there are big gaps around the tang . there isnt  here is a better angle

FRJ

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:44:47 AM »
Another  WOW!!!!!!! I am truely blessed, I have seen 2 beautiful lpieces of firearm art today this is the second and I don't have words to say how beautiful it is so I wont try. Great Job!!!!!!  Frank

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:58 AM »
Hot diggety, you poured yourself into that one!
Andover, Vermont

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:29:58 AM »
This is my second double WOW-WOW  :o for this day. I can digest no more this day. Thanks for sharing. Jim.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
thank you all for the kind words .

Rich . i wish i could take better photos .
 Originally all the engraving on the barrel , breech and tang was to have been gold and silver inlays . But that had to be dropped .
 The velvet was also to have matching  gold leaf  trimming. But without the gold on the pistol , it  just didn’t fit and would have been IMO a distraction 

Odd Fellow

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:03:42 AM »
NICE!

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:59:33 AM »
HOLEY $#@*!!!!!!!!!!!    Bob

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
Capt. just outstanding. It's beautiful, I can't find a detail i like the best, is that a dog face for the hammer? Very clever and fun detail.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 05:33:15 PM »
Capt. just outstanding. It's beautiful, I can't find a detail i like the best, is that a dog face for the hammer? Very clever and fun detail.

yes the hammer is a dogs head  with it ears back .
 i actually did not make the hammer  .
 the customer brought me  the  hammer and ask me to build a pistol around  the hammer .
 It was rather rusted up when I got it,  though  one could still tell it was a dogs head .
 They eyes must have been at one time  inlaid with  probably gold . But at some time someone had either dug  the gold out  or  they had  fallen out .
Myself I think someone removed them as the sockets were  very deep . Not just a thin inlay . The original plan was to  replace them with gold as part of the gold and silver work on the barrel . When that work was drop I replace the eyes with iron inlays .

The other detail is the adjustable rear sight . This took me some time to figure out  as I had  never seen the mechanics of how these originally worked .
 The screw head right behind the rear sight is the adjustment screw  which gives up to ½  an inch of upward movement.
Also the rear sight V is cut  from a remembrance that I had of an original Le Page  box set that I inventoried  for the MoI  back in 1988.  So it’s a deep box with a V center of the bottom .
 The front sight is a brass  post with brass bead on the top .

Im truly sorry about the quality of my photos . I simply hate digital cameras. At least the one I have .  Its just not good for taking  close up photos  of gun work
 The colors never seem to be true  and   shadows always seem to come out as  gaping black holes   

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
Beautiful work!!! I like the case. I'm thinking of making something similar for the pair of silver kentucky pistols I made. How did you do the edges that line the cavities?

Best regards

Rolf

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
A very nice work of artistry there, Captchee!  Very well executed.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Captchee

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
How did you do the edges that line the cavities?

One of the late box sets that I  looked at had some of the trim  separating .
 In that case the walls were  simply heavy paper .about the thickness of  the paper used in brown paper bags or thin poster  paper .
 So that’s what I did .

First I fitted a piece of 1 ½  thick blue foam  to the inside of the box .  
NO the orignal box i spoke of  did not use foam for the core .

Anyway I then  drew out my cavity placement and cut those out .
As a NOTE to this . Your cavities must be cut so as to take into account for this added thickness of the doubled fabric and paper  trims  that will go all the way around the cavity . If you don’t then the parts will not fit OR fit so tightly that  it will separate and crush the trim after  it been applied  . So remember   your thickness is 3X the fabric +paper  X 2 to account for  the added thickness all the way around the cavity  your cutting out .

Once that was done the   core was then glued permanently into the  bottom of the box  .
Once dry  I cut a piece  of velvet ¼ wider  then needed . This was then glued to the core and tucked in  between the walls of the box and the core  .

I then come back with a sharp blade and  carefully cut  down  the center of each cavity being careful to stay at least 3/8 away from all the walls . Cuts are then made toward each  corner so that the  velvet  will cleanly fold down into the box. don’t cut all the way to the corner  or you will end up with and opening that’s very hard to  hide .
  Glue is the applied to the top 3/8 edge of the cavities  and the fabric is pressed down into the cavity and onto the walls . this is your first thickness  of fabric  in your cavity .
 I then take the  piece that I  originally cut out of the core  and force them  back part way into the cavity  . these  now are a very tight fit and will hold the fabric down  while the glue dries .
 Once the glue has set ,  these are removed and the  fabric is trimmer from the walls up to the glue line .
 I then cover the bottoms of all the cavities  with fabric

For  wall trim,  I cut strips of paper  the height of the walls  then the velvet is cut 3/8 wider .   The velvet is glued to  one side . The excess is then folded over and  glued to the back . .
IE one side of the paper strip is completely covered by velvet  and the other side  only 3/8. thus you get 2 more thicknesses of fabric + paper
 You have to make sure that  you glue the fabric all the way to the top edge . Both front and back . If you don’t the fabric will roll down into the cavity as you fit the pistol or part into the cavity

Once dry  the strip is then glued  to the walls of the box  by applying glue to  the back  of the  strip  “side that’s only 3/8 covered  with fabric “ and the wall
being careful to not let the glue  get any higher then just below the edge of the wall ,about 1/16 .  This depends on the glue used though . Remember as you press the trim in place  the glue is going to spread . You don’t want it to spread out  and thus damage the exposed  fabric . So if your using white glue . Remember that  it will spread out . Also keep in mind that if  you apply it to thick , it will wick through the fabric and destroy the finish on any piece that is not backed with paper .  So let things tack up alittle before you apply your fabric .

You also need to plan for a stop and start point . Your  trim strips need to be long enough to reach these locations .  These locations  I chose inside corners  that are closes to the viewer. That way  the joining seams are not visible    

With  the open walled boxes  I don’t do this  trim . The walls  I make of pine . I glue the dividers /walls  into place in the box . Then  I start the covering in the bottom of the box . Once that’s all done I come back and apply glue to the walls  and apply the fabric making sure that I have more then is needed . Always starting  to apply the fabric   at the  top and working down and into the box ,stretching and smoothing as I go . Then with a small corner set tool I  press the fabric down into the corners and where it meets the bottom .
The excess fabric is then carefully rimmed off with a very sharp blade ,to make a nice crisp inside  transition  into the corners and where the walls meet the fabric in the bottom of the box  

The other thing that’s very important is your fabric choice .
The fabric must be a unidirectional type . IE its stretchable in all direction  .
 This is very important especially if the fabric doesn’t have a Knapp .
Without the nap , there is no way to hid seams .
 But with a fabric like velvet ,  those seams can be compressed and hidden in the Knap
Again you have to be careful with the glue . To much and it will wick or get on the face of the fabric and destroy your work
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:40:02 PM by Captchee »

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
Having worked with purpleheart myself, I appreciate your accomplishment !  Beautiful work.

Offline rudyc

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »
SWEEEET!!!

rudyc
"It's a good day for something"