Author Topic: Hardening Brass?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline cmac

Hardening Brass?
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:27:23 AM »
I have made a main patch box and a toe plate patch box for the early Virginia rifle I'm building. The main lid seems to be holding its shape okay, but the toe plate lid is getting bent outward a bit by the "opening" spring. I don't think the spring is too heavy, and if I remember correctly the brass is .043 thick. Is there a way to harden the brass? I know how to soften it but have never heard about hardening anywhere.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Hardening Brass?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:30:59 AM »
  For your needs, no. Brass only hardens by work hardening.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
Brass hardens by working it. You can hammer brass to harden it, or bend it back and forth a few times until it has acquired the right springiness.

However, on a part already made and inlet, you risk damaging it by hammering, for the metal will get thin AND stretch.  Try some judicious bending back and forth to see if it improves the action.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:51:04 AM »
Can you just soften the spring (take some preload off, re-harden and temper) or solder reinforcement on the lid?

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:45 AM »
I can probably lighten the spring some. I put a pretty good ridge down the middle of the lid and that is what the spring is riding on. It isn't bending the lid much just enough to see a hairline gap in the mid section. I was kinda shocked that it was even doing that much. I teach it somehow! ;D   

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »
You can work harden brass by hammering it lightly ( many light blows) with a raw hide hammer, without distorting it.

Hungry Horse

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:34:07 AM »
I think I'd just lighten the spring a bit. If it's pushing hard enough to bend the door, it way more than enough power to simply open the door...
John
John Robbins

Offline kutter

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:13:08 AM »
If I understand the problem right,,the toe plate itself is being bowed outward from the spring tension of the release rod/mechanism underneath it?

If that's the case,,the spring tension can be captured under the toe plate by a separate steel bushing or small plate installed in the wood and secured in position with a couple of wood screws. The spring would press against that secured steel abutment w/the rod passing thru it.
The toe plate would then mearly cover that up with the release button end of the rod extending thru the brass  plate so you can get at it. But the brass isn't taking any pressure from the spring & latch mechanism itself.

If the box lid is bowed from the flat spring that pops the door open a tad,,then lighten that spring some, or even just change it's engagement angle to the lid so it just barely pushes on it as the lid is closed.
No need for it to do a Jack-In-The-Box routine when you push the release button below. Just enough power to gently pop it open.

If the door is too thin of material and keeps bending with normal use and handling but otherwise fits well,,you can soft solder a thicker piece of brass to the back side of the door itself to reinforce it. It doesn't have to cover the entire back side. From the hinge back as far as possible and perhaps a 1/2" wide is usually plenty. It doesn't take much to re-inforce it against bending. You may have to readjust the opening spring after adding some thickness to the middle portion.

If I misinterpreted the problem,,then disregard everything above and carry on!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:18:31 AM by kutter »

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:43:00 AM »
Can you solder a narrower brass piece under the main toeplate and let the spring bear on that? Make the underside piece from thicker material and inlet that deeper into the wood and have spring bear on that stronger setup.

Offline cmac

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:28 AM »
Lightening the spring worked. I was just wondering (have for a while) if there was a heat hardening method. I know better now... Thanks