Author Topic: Greenhorn getting ready to build a long rifle.  (Read 3901 times)

mbokie5

Greenhorn getting ready to build a long rifle.
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:42 AM »
A big howdeedoo to all!   :)

I was pretty impressed by a lot of the names I saw posting around here.

I think I'm in the right spot for some pretty good help with my new Chambers kits. One coming soon, a rifle and one in January, a fowler.

I had no notion that this would become a passion. How  come it's so addictive?

Maybe it will get a warning label someday.  :o

Well, I hope this little intro is ok. If not go ahead and delete it or move it, whichever is appropriate.

Nice to find such a great forum.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhorn getting ready to build a long rifle.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
Welcome aboard!  You've come to the right place for your "addiction".

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Glenn

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 05:11:47 AM »
WELCOME TO ALR ... You're right ... the stuff on this site is mind-blowing !!!   ;D

Don't feel alone in the "greenhorn" category, as I am right in there with you.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »
Run... Run away.... Ed is right, this is an addiction.

I am working on my first rifle... hating it.... loving it... hating it... living in a state of confusion and frustration... I can't walk by it without working on it.... and already I am making a list of the parts for my next two guns.... and I don't even have my barrel channel in on my first one....

I am a sick man......
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

mbokie5

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
It's already too late for me. I'm hooked. I'm hooked so bad, that I gave up cigarettes to afford this addiction.  :o And quitting smokes was nothing compared to this.

Thanks for the welcome, fellas.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:53:25 PM by mbokie5 »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
My first muzzleloader was full of errors, not like my last one, that only had 492. But with patience you will get good like me ::)
Seriously get one or several of the instruction books, or videos, and they will help a lot.
There are many builders about that will gladly get you started and keep you going.
Also study as many guns as possible,  but when you are building one particular style of gun, focus only on that type.
When building, work on "one inch at a time" don't try to finish the gun in one evening. It will take many evenings to get it right.
Building a rifle from a stock blank, demands a lot of wood skills. And if you have no cabinetry skills, you will have your work cut out for you.
My first rifles the barrel channel was cut by chisel and scraper, after I mastered the use of the table saw and router, barrel channels are a breeze.
So good luck, and ask lots of questions.
Best regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline fm tim

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
Jim Chambers offers videos of both Ron Ehlert and Jim Turpin building Chamber's rifles.  See his web site

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
You poor soul, it's never to late to return the stuff. It's very bad ,you will think it , dream it , you will be wanting books , than making your own parts and what ever else, than the worst around the end of July, THE CALL wanting to go to Dixon, meeting the people that you read about and alllll those guns. My god man what where you thinking.HAHA!!

You will enjoy this hobby its more than just building a gun it's an art form, If you are not sure of something do ask somebody or a book has the answer.Don't rush we greenhorn tend to rush and keep those blades sharp.
FunFunFun
Denis

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
Welcome aboard you poor lost soul!
I have no idea from your bio where you are located, but I hope there is a likeable ML gunsmith in your area who is willing to show you a few things and steer you in the right direction. You'll find a lot of help here too!
Tom C.

mbokie5

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
Ed, just what I need. A way to feed my addiction and an addictions support group. 

Old Ford, fast is one thing I've never been accused of. Impatient perhaps. 

Glenn, it's good to have someone at the same stage around. Maybe we can even make different mistakes.  ;D I'll probably make all of them, So you may be lonely in that department.

Keep us posted huntinguy. What are you building? Thread? Pics?

I have those videos on the way fm tim. Hopefully I'll get them next week.

frenchman, it's true. It's an all consuming passion. It's more than a hobby. I'll slow down and keep the blades sharp for sure.

Yep, there's some builders around here, good black powder support. But I think a lot of folks have built their guns with just the help from folks here.  We may be lost souls but we've found a place for the lost souls to meet.

8)