Author Topic: Scraping stock with glass ?  (Read 7192 times)

KennyC

Scraping stock with glass ?
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:16:14 AM »
Hello  I would like to know if different glass is better than another for scraping stocks. Like window pane , broken glass jar ,beer bottle
thanks Ken

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Scraping stock with glass ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:23:19 AM »
Hello  I would like to know if different glass is better than another for scraping stocks. Like window pane , broken glass jar ,beer bottle
thanks Ken

I don't like glass. In my experience its more prone to chatter and the edges chip.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:50:12 AM »
I remember reading that Champagne bottles where better because the gass was tougher.

Quite frankly, I can't see it being any better than a good saw blade scraper made for the job at hand.

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
I Would Rather Hunt, Than be Hunted!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »
Advantage to glass is you don't have to know how to sharpen. Toss when dullish and grab another chunk. I have a stash from a broken 1/4" plate glass shelf. ;D A friend buys microscope slides for scrapers and claims they're good. Steel scrapers are a little easier for me to handle, I think. If you do try glass, put a layer or two of masking tape on the nonworking edges to keep from getting your blood all over your work.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
Microscope slides are very good. I'd stay away from broken glass and think that's an old wive's tale that it works.  If you cut glass it will work baecause the edges are 90 degrees, but broken glass has edges with acute angles and will not stand up to any pressure.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
Does any builder using glass experience small glass slivers ( very small) to deal with when final finish begins ?? Thanks, Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

keweenaw

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »
I'm with Rich on this one and use microscope slides - maybe it's because we both have easy access to them? but the edges are ground square and they scrape beautifully.

Tom

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
Rich has sold me on microsope slides as well! Of course I still use steel scrapers, but for finish up work & de-wiskering they are hard to beat. LIGHT PRESSURE is all that's needed.
Tom C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:21 PM »
@!*% thatRich, he got me going on micro slides as well. As Snyder sez, for finishing only. The edges chip with too much pressure, then your scraped surface has ridges.

I use steel scrapers for a lot of work, even for final shaping. A good scraper will remove rasp marks in no time. I made mini scrapers to work in between carving etc. Wide, narrow, curved edges, straight edges, a nice variety makes the work hum along.

T
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:56:30 PM »
To get the most out of microscope slides I put electrician's tape on the chipped edges so I can remember not to use that edge.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wmrike

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
I'm a filer and sander by heart, but on account of my indiscriminate nature, I've used broken glass, especially in tight little places.  I can always find an edge that seems to match the curvature and area I'm working in.

I like the idea of black tape on the back end.  Hadn't thought of that.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »
Artisans in Asia, and further west to the Middle East, used to use agate scrapers for dressing up wood. It gives a very smooth sheen to the article upon which it is used. I have never used it as it is harder to get than glass. Outcome would likely be about the same as the hardness is about the same in both.
Dick

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:57 AM »
I know for a fact that David Dodds used broken glass to scrape with. I have a Rowan County N.C. rifle that he built for me and scraped the Walnut stock with broken glass. It's Beautiful!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »
Well I find furniture scrapers work great and sometimes make a small one of my own. Have two Jerry Fisher barrel inlet scrapers I bought from Brownells.

Now in the 1950s my father gave a me a JC Higgins .22 that he had bought in the 1920s. In 1962 I tore it apart and scraped the stock with broken Mason jar glass to get rid of dings etc. and then refinished it. It worked great and looked like new when I finished....my hands on the other hand.......  glass works but if I were going to use it today I think I would stay with Rich and use microscope slides...
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 03:39:37 AM »
Old soda pop bottles work good if you can find them.  You get a lot of contour pieces when you break them and they are heavier than other types of glass.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

KennyC

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:25:26 AM »
Thanks for your reponce's  now where do you buy  the mirco slides

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »
ebay, of course
Andover, Vermont

KennyC