Author Topic: Sawing logs (ash)  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Habu

Sawing logs (ash)
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
Should ash for gunstocks be quarter-sawn or flat-sawn?  I've got a tree we'll be sawing this fall and thought I might set some aside for possible stocks.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Sawing logs (ash)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:16 PM »
Quarter sawn normally is done to reveal figure or curl, so if the ash is not curly, slab sawn would be fine.  On the other hand the growth rings are very prominent; not sure how to saw to get the best look.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:47:34 AM »
Thanks Rich.  I can't imagine wanting to use ash for a stock, but who know what I'll think in 5-10 years?  Ten years ago I never thought I'd have a use for 3 1/2" walnut, but now as I am planning a jaeger of sorts, that stash is mighty comforting to have. 

M.D.H.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:32:30 PM »
Habu,
We planked out between 8 and 10 Ash trees two years ago.  The best way we found was to just rip the tree down by slab sawing.  This way you end up with some slab sawn and some quarter sawn planks in the end.  Unless you have some really large Ash tree's your yield from quarter sawing will be small. 
Hope this helps.
M

Offline kutter

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
The way that ash borer bugger is killing off the trees,,there won't be any ash trees around in a couple of years.

I never worked with ash wood but have seen a couple of nicely made rifles posted here(?).

Offline James

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »
The ash I have sawn has shown me that it can have a mind of its own once in the board. 2 1/2" -3" planks won't warp like 4/4 and 6/4 do, but keep it in mind and have weight on the stack above when stickering to dry.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Habu

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
This is a fair-sized tree; unless it is curly I will probably take it all at 5/4.  If it is curly, I should be able to get 4 planks about 3" thick and 15-18" wide, by the length of the log, which should be 10-12'.   

Ash is one of those trees that seem to dry better if you square the beam up before sawing (you want to get rid of the bark and whitewood anyhow).  I haven't had any problems with warping if the boards are cut so the grain runs full-length.