Author Topic: The bag and horn carry...  (Read 14561 times)

BrownBear

Re: The bag and horn carry...
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
I discovered a new "wrinkle" last week in the whole bag carry question. 

Back in the days of lead shot I did all my duck hunting with a 12 SxS muzzleloader, but I wasn't making bags then and I carried everything in my coat pockets.  I just re-entered the world of ML duck hunting with ITX shot, but this time with a bag and horn since I make my own now.

In short, what a fiasco!  Due to the terrain here we almost never hunt from established blinds, rather we lay flat and cover ourselves, then raise up to shoot while sitting flat on the ground with our legs in front.  Trouble is, with the bag at your side and even with the bottom at waist height, the bag varies between in the way and awkward. The horn and shot snake want to roll under you as you lay down and every time you shift, and  needs to be even higher when you sit up.

I'm betting from period paintings and hunting methods, folks didn't hunt as we are, so never had to contend with those issues.  I'm building a new bag now from which I can detach the strap and tie it between the straps on my waders, along with a loop on the bag through which I can feed the "neck" of the shot snake to keep it in place. I'm also including features for easier management of wads while wearing gloves and for a loose horn to drop into the bag.  I can restore the strap for over-the-shoulder carry when I hunt ptarmigan, but I have to do something about laying flat with a bag and horn.

That's my first attempt at a "solution" for the issues, but I'm curious if anyone has seen a bag clearly designed for central carry, rather than over the shoulder.  I assume that they had other reasons for carrying one that way, even if they weren't wearing waders!  :D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
I tend to carry more ammo than is needed. But I might want some powder to start a fire. Or for signalling if I stick my leg in between some slide rock chunks in the snow and break it.
Its not likely I will get lost but the injury thing is pretty real especially in the snow.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
BBear - I'd lay odds "most' duck hutning way back when, was 'pot shooting' ie: mostly sneaking up on small ponds  and 'potting' them on the water. Seems to me, that's what the term means.  "Jump shooting" - another term used in connection with duck hunting involved the same walking up on small ponds and shooting them after they take flight.
Normal bags and horns suffice for such hunting. Finding such a location provides for much fun in duck shooting.

BrownBear

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
Finding such a location provides for much fun in duck shooting.

Agreed, and I've spent 40 years up here looking for them.  But if I want to duck hunt with any hope of getting birds within 30 yards or so, it's either lay down and cover up or belly crawl for 200-300 yards in the best of circumstances. And if side carry sounds like a snarl for laying down, you ought to try it on a long belly crawl through the mud!   :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:42:56 PM by BrownBear »

William Worth

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
For shooting in the field (timed event or hunting), I make up pre-measured charges that I store in sections of river cane with stoppered with wooden plugs.  I suppose if I were to be engaged in a fire-fight I might want more powder and ball, but the pre-measured powder loads are faster than measuring it out under pressure.

In a day or two, is Kentucky's early ML season.  I will take five RB's, five measured charges and five patches afield.  If I need more, I need to just go home anyway.

Vomitus

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »
Finding such a location provides for much fun in duck shooting.

Agreed, and I've spent 40 years up here looking for them.  But if I want to duck hunt with any hope of getting birds within 30 yards or so, it's either lay down and cover up or belly crawl for 200-300 yards in the best of circumstances. And if side carry sounds like a snarl for laying down, you ought to try it on a long belly crawl through the mud!   :D
   Yeah, but swimming after them ain't much fun,lol.

BrownBear

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
 :D

I'm not that young any more!

Come to think of it, I wasn't young enough even when I did it!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
Judging carry methods may tell more about the man than how things were done generally.  My carry has changed because of injuries.  After a shoulder dislocation and nerve damage to my hand, I changed my carry method.   I have tried a number of ways and come back to the arrangement in the picture. I do reach down behind the horn to get into the bag.  I didn't realize this was a problem until reading here. 

I'm still exploring different carry methods.  A left side bag and right side horn might be better because it allows my left hand to handle small items and my right hand(poor hand) handles larger things like my horn. I guess I load left-handed until I get to the short starter and finish of right handed.

A physical therapist with muzzle-loading experience might be able to look at these old bags and tell about the shooter and his physical problems.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

BrownBear

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
A physical therapist with muzzle-loading experience might be able to look at these old bags and tell about the shooter and his physical problems.

I think that's a brilliant idea. I've been fly fishing over 50 years and at one point I dingled up my elbow.  Physical therapy could relieve the symptoms, but they recurred every time I fished.  Quiting wasn't an option.

The situation wasn't improving until I found a physical therapist that was also an experienced fly fisherman.  He had a real interest and curiosity, and was able to trace my issues to casting methods evolved for bamboo and soft glass that didn't translate well into the physics of high-modulous graphite.  Thanks to his study, experiments, and coaching I was able to change my casting style and resolve it completely.

Long way of saying yeah, a good physical therapist with the experience and interest could teach us a lot about muzzleloader mechanics I think.

Thanks, Pletch.  I'm going to see if I can get this guy hooked on muzzleloading!   ;D