Author Topic: Last Sunday...  (Read 2828 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Last Sunday...
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
My friend Neil sent me these pictures this morning.  Seven of us gathered to break some clays, or at least try.  We shot steadily for about three and a half hours, then went for coffee.  What a great time!!
Daryl's shooting his 20 gauge single English half stocked gun by Henkeler, and I'm shooting my double flint 12 gauge.  

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

roundball

Re: Last Sunday...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
Looks like a good time for sure...looking forward to some of that after retirement myself

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
We had a great time - wonderful, sunny day - and above freezing.

Vomitus

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »
 I had fun too.Taylors Manton fits me like a glove. Never once have I had to concentrate on the gun,just the bird with this old beauty! Beyond the shotgunning fun, I checked an oiled patch for after shot quality.I took a sopping "wet" neatsfoot oil 20thou denim patch, wrung out most of the oil with a tissue,loaded and hunted for a few hours, then shot it for accuracy(offhand) and patch resilience. Both worked out well.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 12:52:17 AM »
Yes - I agree - the 15 bore Manton Cap gun shoots like a properly fitting modern double.  It swings so quickly, birds are easily taken on the early rise, when the pattern is still perfect - inside 25 yards. The bors are straight - no tightness in the middle as some Manton's apparently were bored. It was commonly thought that a choke, that is, a constriction which was relieved towards both breech and muzzle made the gun shoot harder.

I cannot see that myself, however I've not shot such a gun, so have no experience with one so bored.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:52:54 AM by Daryl »