Author Topic: new lubricant for rifle storage?  (Read 6728 times)

Offline dave gross

new lubricant for rifle storage?
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:47:16 AM »
There has been some discussion here concerning barrel lubricants for long term rifle storage.  Here in Maine our vehicles are assaulted by road salt every winter, and now our DOT is using calcium chloride to fight ice and snow.  This last chemical  destroys truck frames so quickly that it is nearly impossible to find a serviceable replacement in wrecking yards...the sheet metal gets eaten up as well.  The usual undercoating treatments are fine until they develop cracks and the water crawls in and starts its work.  Recently some shops are applying a new substance to try to protect vehicles.  It is called Fluid Film and is an oily substance extracted from sheep's wool...guess it's mainly lanolin.  Can be applied via aerosol or brush. I got some and am going to use it as a final treatment after cleaning my longrifle barrels......I may even shoot some under the old truck. Fluid Film has a website.

Dave Gross
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:48:42 AM by dave gross »

camerl2009

Re: new lubricant for rifle storage?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »
i use rem oil it work's good

and yes the salt is bad a good trick is keep your car/truck clean  ;)

theres all kinds of Films out there to protect steel from rust  AD3000 is one but ive never tried it on guns 

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »
Might work, Dave. I find about anything works here, as long as the gun is clean. I also find I cannot get a gun clean, without barrel removal and flushing water in and out with the breech is a bucket or pail of water.

The WipeOut foam for muzzleloaders does work for cleaning the barrel while on the gun, however the normal modern WipeOut, also listed for BP guns as well on the can, does not do a good job and will take finish & stain off if it runs down the stock - found this out myself.

Naphtali

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
Without exception and for decades, I have used LPS-3 Marine Corrosion Inhibitor and Lubricant for longterm storage of metal items capable of corroding. My procedure, whenever possible, is to heat a [scrupulously cleaned] item or its component parts in an oven at about 100-125 degrees F. I then remove from the oven, spritz them vigorously with LPS-3, and let stand as freely as possible for at least two hours. LPS-3 penetrates crevasses, et al. and dries to a waxy finish. Next step is to seal in plastic bag or wrap.

Hope this helps.

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
LPS-3 has proven itself a goodun in our tough marine environment, both on stored guns and on my boats.  I hear good reports from folks around here using Fluid Film for various jobs, but no firsthand reports on guns.  Keep us posted.

One thing I have against LPS-3 is the goo.  It's a poor choice for field carry, good as it is around salt spray. Gotta watch it for picking up lint and dust in storage too, because those collect moisture from the air.  For field carry I've used LPS-2 (lighter) on exterior surfaces and LPS-1 (lightest) on interior moving parts.  Good stuff, and vastly superior to the standby WD-40 in all those roles.

On a tip from another muzzleloader a couple of years back I started trying Boeshield T-9, a bicycle lube available from REI and other bike shops.  It was originally developed by Boeing to corrosion-proof the undersides and landing gear of jets landing on salty and/or gravel runways.  Displaces moisture and dries to a thin waxy film that's not sticky to the hand, yet is about the toughest thing I've seen for wear and tear.  I have had a couple of guns stored with it and going into their second year without an issue.  Zero tendency to collect dust and lint, too.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:18:18 PM by BrownBear »

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:17:24 AM »
Guess much depends on surroundings. Today, humidity was 100%, however the average this week is about 45- our yearly average. Stored inside, cleaned flushed with WD40 and stored muzzle down, my guns have NEVER rusted in storage nor when hunting, even for 2 weeks in wet weather. Thus, I'll stay with what works for me.  If you've got something that works for you, stay with it.

I'm not keen on a product that leaves a 'surface' on or inside my guns. I've heard WD40 does this, but I've never seen it in 4 decades of use, now.

BrownBear

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »
Yeah.  Our problem here is the salt in the air.  WD40 has been a flop, allowing rust sometimes even on a long day afield, much less in storage. 

Airborne salt is so bad in fact that the right conditions cause power outages because of salt buildup in some critical parts of the delivery system.  I'm not an electrician, but the problem is so predictable that I have a couple of backup generators.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:22:57 AM »
I don't really do "long term storage" as such.  I periodically check and recheck (OCD, you understand) my barrels and often re-oil if I'm not completely confident.  I've used in the past (still do sometimes) Rem-oil, Hoppes gun oil, Butches, Outers and others.  For a while now I've been using Barricade with complete success.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Harnic

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 03:11:33 AM »
Like Daryl I have relied on WD40 for decades.  I have a couple cans of Fluid Film, but it's messy $#*&.  I suppose for long term storage it would work well in the bore, but I'd never use it where I might touch it.  I use it for the door hinges on my truck & it lasts a whole year there.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:12:47 AM by Harnic »

Dancy

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
If anyone is interested in one man's test of Fluid Film vs. Eezox

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47910

John Boy

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
new lubricant for rifle storage?
The 9 months sitting on a bulkhead - 100' from the Atlantic Ocean test of Eezox - judge for yourself!
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457.0

The last patch down the bore and then all metal wiped with light coat is applied before any go back in the safe

Not only is it a rust preventative, it's a lube and BP cleaner.  Try it with a tight patch if you have any leading

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »
Is Eezox® Gun Care really all natural? I've been using Ballistol with no problems.   
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...