Author Topic: First trip out with roundball in Trade Gun  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
First trip out with roundball in Trade Gun
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:01:21 AM »
Well, between chorin' and family coming to visit this weekend I got out and put about a dozen round ball through the .62 trade gun.
I shot several rounds through it at 25 yards, moving the sites all I could comfortably get away with and then backed off to 50 yards.  All shots on this target were with 100 grains 2f, .610 round ball, and .020 cut pillow ticking saturated with Hoppes 9 plus.  Bear grease shot about the same but was harder to push down the bore.  The load used here was very tight fitting in the bore.  Wind was gusty 10-25 mph from right to left.  The spread right to left is about 7 3/4 inches.  All shots were freehand while kneeling.

I included a couple of retrieved patches in the pic.

I need to get out and try some different loads, but will probably have to tweek the barrel a bit to move the point of aim to the left and maybe down a bit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:03:03 AM by -SquirrelHeart- »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Vomitus

Re: First trip out with roundball in Trade Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
  Next time out, shoot in over bags on the bench.Don't touch your sight yet,same sight picture. See if it will group and where@25. If it's center and a little high, move out to 50 yards.This is where you want her bullseye centered. That's a pretty stout load, but if you handle it well, it should be a good moose load. I like mine between 70-80,2f in a .62. I've used a 22 thou wet  patch under a .600 ball, short started, and my wood ramrod for range and trail shoots.
  Just want to add,Squirrel. The crown.I think this a critical part too. I've found that if it is cut a little more to one side or the other, it will throw the ball right or left depending on which side has more meat.Also check(you probably have,but I'll mention it anyways) that the muzzle is cut off square. I'd fiddle with it more before tweaking(bending) the barrel. PM me if you like.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:51:24 PM by Vomitus »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:48:31 AM »
Vomitous - I will use the bench and bags next time I get the opportunity to run some roundball through the trade gun, as well as try some different powder loads before I "tweek" that barrel.  I have read about shaping the muzzle to alter the point of impact, I would like to hear from your experience how to go about doing that. 

I checked the muzzle early in the build, it is in fact square  Thanks for your insights!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Vomitus

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »
 Curtis,
  I was thinking about having a concentric crown,even, all around.I've had a smoothy that was used,new to me, do this very thing. It flung them right.Upon inspection, I found the crown was shallower on the right side then the rest of the crown. Easy fix. A straight shank 82 degree countersink comes to memory.