Author Topic: Smoothbore Barrels  (Read 1969 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Smoothbore Barrels
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »
On another forum a smoothbore owner took issue with his gun due to the octagon to round barrel apparently not being tapered.  My gun, being much like his, also does not have a tapered barrel - I never really noticed before.  Mine weighs between 7 and 7.5 pounds so isn't heavy and still has that light, whippy feel to the muzzle.  I do consider my gun to be a bit "robust", with its large, early lock, which is what I like.

IIRC it is a Longhammock barrel.  When I ordered mine a couple of years ago I didn't specify a particular barrel.  I ordered it with a rear sight for use on 1. deer, 2. turkey and 3. squirrels, in that order.  It is perfect for my needs.

While I can see why a light, tapered barrel would be great for wing shooting, I don't necessarily see an advantage for other game.  HC/PC aside, why is it so important a barrel be tapered even when it offers no particular advantage for a particular use?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Smoothbore Barrels
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
The barrels used by Chambers in my N.E. and Penn.fowling guns are 46 in long. The breach is the heaviest, then oct. tapers to the weddingband, then round tapering and  then getting a bit larger as you approach the muzzle. First, the balance is spectacular. 2nd, the heaviest part of the barrel is at the breach where youneed it. 3rd, the front sight sits at a point where the gun almost aims itself, 4th, esthetics. The barrel profile allows for slim lines.
I had a gun as you have described. I thought well of it until I handled a Chambers fowling piece. Once you have one in hand with that barrel profile, there is no going back IMO.  ;D