Author Topic: Out smarted my self  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Dave B

Out smarted my self
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »
I have to laugh at my self some times. I took out several new shooters yesterday in the evening . The goal was to impress safety and give a comparison between modern pistols and their black powder counterparts. It all went well right up to the point where I brought out my Georgian holster pistol. I have never shot it but my son wanted to give it a go. I loaded it up with  30 gr of 3f goex and a patched round .570 ball. I have only a drilled touch hole, no vent liner at this time in the barrel. Every thing was just perfect but when I went to fire it I only got a flash in the pan. Four times I cleaned the touch hole and re-primed  and still no go.  >:( It was late and the icy rain was now coming down in sheets caused a general retreat off the mountain. I breached the pistol barrel after getting home and found out the cause of the problem. Years ago I loaned it out for a display and didn't want it shot. I explained this to the borrower as a condition of the loan. To make sure it couldn't be fired  I shoved a shot wad card down to block the vent hole from the inside. Well it work really well. The card popped out with the rest of the load on the work bench.

On a separate note while I had it breached I remembered those vent cone cutters that we all saw in the forsale section. I pulled out one and coned The vent hole wile I had the brass barrel in the vice. Holy cow that thing works sweet. Now with out the shot card in the breach and a vent coning I may just get it to go off. :D
Dave Blaisdell

Daryl

Re: Out smarted my self
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
Good story, Dave.

Offline Maven

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
"...I remembered those vent cone cutters that we all saw in the for sale section."

Dave, Any photos of these?  Who offered them?  Are they still available?
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:16:03 AM »
They are made by One of our own, Tom Snyder. I don't have any pics but we may find them in the back log of for sale stuff Here is Tom's info

email is tpsnyder@mtu.edu

Tom Snyder
54256  Salo Rd.
Hancock, MI   49930.

They are 30 buck each  and worth every penny. I got a medium and a large cutter.
Dave Blaisdell

ChipK

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:47:41 AM »
To make sure it couldn't be fired  I shoved a shot wad card down to block the vent hole from the inside. Well it work really well. The card popped out with the rest of the load on the work bench.

What a great idea for when a rifle is on display. The wad would insure nothing could ever happen. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:03:53 AM »
I have walked away for a moment from a display meaning to come right back and get distracted. You never know if a gun is not in your presence what some one else has done with it. You could pick up a gun to demonstrate what the flach in  the pan looks like for joe public and have had someone start to load a piece and not tell you. Flash goes the pan an bang goes the gun. It wasnt loaded when I checked it but if it leaves your possession you have no Idea what some one else may have done.  When I take novices shooting by my self only one gun at a time is out of the case.
Dave Blaisdell