Author Topic: Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock Shotgun any good?  (Read 5814 times)

Offline maudite

Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock Shotgun any good?
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
I m looking for an English halfstock flintlock fowler and was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of the Pedersoli Mortimer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:27:11 PM by maudite »

Daryl

Re: Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock Shotgun any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
I remember handling one a long time ago and other than thinking at that time that the stock had too little drop at the comb and heel, I don't remember much else about the gun. If it fits you, it probably is OK. Most Pedersoli guns are OK. They aren't custom guns, but sometimes are priced thusly.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Daryl, Neil has one...that's where you saw it.  And Yes, the stock is too straight to get the cheek down on it for round ball shooting, but he does well with it.  Also, it is a tight twelve gauge - probably metric.  Neil shoots it well with trap loads too.  I did some work on the lock to improve ignition, many years ago.  It's a good lock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Neil Hunter

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:41 AM »
Since Taylor worked on the lock of my Mortimer, the ignition is much improved. The stock is too straight to be very usegul for shooting roundball but it points very well for shot - if I do my part.  The gun is not a light-weight but the weight improves my follow-through.  As Taylor noted, it is a tight 12 gauge. Actually bore diameter is .719 as compared with a nominal 12 gauge of .729.  Do yourself a big favour and order 13 gauge wads.  They are a perfect fit in the Mortimer.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 02:22:25 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Neil.  I'm glad you don't use the Mortimer anymore for trap shooting...almost impossible to be competetive when you are shooting that flinter.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

xring2245

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:49:12 AM »
I have had one for years.  It's a wonderful shotgun.  It is actually a 13ga. and uses 13ga. over powder and fiber wads and 14ga. overshot wads.