Author Topic: "The A. Verner," RCA 63  (Read 14686 times)

MarkEngraver

Re: "The A. Verner," RCA 63
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »
Thanks for posting.  A Great job !
You and Taylor have given  me much appreciated views of a rifle I've only seen in Black and white photos.

Mark

Offline wmrike

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
Gorgeous!  The Verner rifles just wind me up.

Lucky, this is a question for you, and Taylor too, since he has been down this road.  Did you guys drop the lower thimble in as a single piece, or is that two closely mated pieces?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
    The lower (entry) thimble is initially constructed of two pieces.  The round ramrod pipe and then the extended tail section.   They are then soldered together to form one unit (the originals that I have examined have been made this way.) I inlet them starting front to rear, that is the front of the rod pipe goes in first.  The rear portion of the pipe tang is bent out enough to clear the sides of the stock.  You then work it in front to rear, then bend the sides in tight and inlet them.  It usually takes a couple of hours and some colorful language to put one in, especially if there are piercings in the tang.  It is certainly not a 15 minute job like a regular entry pipe.   Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline wmrike

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
Thanks for that note.

Hmm, I've got to get out more and meet one of those 15 minutes lower thimble installs.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »
    After you put a couple hundred of them in, you start running into those 15 minute installs.  :>)   Stop by sometime I'll show you.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
...gittin' 'er dirty!

Was just reading some older posts and this just struck me.

Taylor is it just the camera angle or is your beautiful rifle as tall as you?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »
Maybe this is like the fishing shows where they hold the fish out to the camera.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »

I did this one a bit different from Mr Lucky, I shaped it and inlet it with extra at the entry end, rolled it so it would go around the pipe and then soldered them together. Everything was inlet independently and miraculously it all fit back together.

Not near as nice as most posted here but it covered my drill run out and I'm OK with it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
Micah, the rifle has a 48" Getz barrel, but it's a combination of the butt sitting on my shoe, camera angle, and overall length.  To load it I place the rifle behind me and hold it under my right armpit.  It's too long to load holding it between my knees as I do with all my other guns.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Flinter

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
I like it. Nice looking flintlock.

Lucky, what caliber is the rifle?