Author Topic: A rifle ready to carve  (Read 17108 times)

Ohioan

Re: A rifle ready to carve
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
David, it's this area here.  It's hard to see on the swivel breech from the angle in this photo. 

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
Ohioan,

This is a picture of the wrist transition on my  own hunting rifle, the swivel breech rifle, and the rifle that I am building now.  I hope that answers your question.

Here is a picture of what can happen when you are too cheap to buy a perfect piece of wood.  One of the inclusions fell out  directly on the carving.  I filled it with some epoxy that I colored to match the finished stain color.  I then let it harden until it got to the hardness of hard soap and carved it into the carving.

[imghttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/blackpowderaa2bex/AA%20single%20barrel%20father%20son%20rifle/Asinglebrlfathersongun067.jpg]http://[/img]

The next eight pictures are the progression of the carving.  It's not finished yet.

I will post more when I get it finished.

ironwolf

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
  Nice progress, David.  Nice save on the knot hole too.
kev

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »
David, beautiful work, as always. I like the way you terminated the ramrod groove molding at the entry pipe, never seen that before. Thanks!
     Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline MKemper

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »
David, it has been a joy to study these photos.  Outstanding detail.  Any chance you could provide a similar series of photos showing the wire and silver embellishment process you do on your swivels?  Your willingness to share your craft is to be commended.  Thank you

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 03:39:03 AM »
MKemper,

Actually I have done two tutorials on silver wire. If you click on to my web site (www.davidpriceflintlocks.com), or click on my signature which is below my posting, and then click on to Silver wire part one and part two you can see it.  I am going to do another which is what you suggested, a tutorial on the silver leafs and wire that is on my father son swivel breech rifles.  The rifle that I will be working on is the some rifle that I am working on now.  As soon as I finish the carving I will start the silver work.  Tim Crosby is also waiting patiently  for the silver work.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 04:25:42 AM »
David,

You are an inspiration for us all.  Truly stunning work!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline MKemper

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
David, your tutorials on the silver wire are great, as is your entire website.  I really look forward to seeing your techniques for the tiny silver leafs.  Thank you again for sharing your expertise.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 03:39:36 AM »
I have made  enough progress on this rifle to post more pictures.  Actually the carving is finished, except for the usual touch up  after the first staining.  I also inlaid the ivory star in the cheek piece.  The father son rifles had damascus steel locks and side plates so I decided to make a new lock and side plate out of  damascus steel so that it would match the swivel rifle.  Don thought that I was a glutton for punishment, I guess he was right. Making the new lock and side plate  after the mortise was already cut in the wood is doing it the hard way.

The next thing that I will do to this rifle is the silver wire around the patch box.  I am going to do that as a tutorial, which   a number of people have asked for.