Author Topic: .40-cal. barrels  (Read 5532 times)

caliber45

.40-cal. barrels
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:01:36 AM »
Is anyone else as frustrated as I about the non-availability of 13/16ths, .40-cal. (or .36-cal.) barrels from GM? TOTW won't even take orders for them. Other sources I have tried are likewise "without." Is GM the only manufacturer of straight-walled barrels in that dimension and caliber(s)? I wouldn't mind paying a bit (emphasis on "bit") more just to get a barrel. The stock I have in the works (my first flinter, other than an ill-fated dueling pistol; don't ask . . .) is getting mighty lonely sitting on the shelf while I try to think of other things to do . . . -- paulallen

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: .40-cal. barrels
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:09:41 AM »
Call Jason at Rice Barrel Company at (828)628-3627. He can fix you up with one and you won't have to breech it like a GM.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

caliber45

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:22:33 AM »
Thanks, Dennis. I'll give him a jingle. - paulallen

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »
Call Tip Curtis at 615-654-4445 and see if he has some in stock.  He has never left me short on straight barrels, but I have only purchased three .40 from him. 
                                                                      Roger Sells

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »
I stopped by Dixon's this afternoon; they usually have a ton of Green Mountain barrels. The rack was almost bare. Lots of Rice swamped barrels, but not a single 13/16" 40 cal GM.

I asked Greg about it, and he said that since Green Mountain was bought by Knight to make barrels for their rifles, they are treating the traditional barrels as a sideline. They have reduced the number of variations they offer drastically, and delivery times have gone way up. It can take them up to a year to get a barrel now.

He said Green Mountain still lists a 40 caliber 13/16" straight barrel, but they are back ordered.

Dale H

Sean

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »
Also check with Mark DeHaas.  He's generally got a bunch of barrels on hand and if he doesn't have it he can usually crank it out pretty quick.

Sean

caliber45

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:13 AM »
Sean -- Thanks. I'll put him on my list. - paulallen

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 04:17:47 AM »
I stopped by Dixon's this afternoon; they usually have a ton of Green Mountain barrels. The rack was almost bare. Lots of Rice swamped barrels, but not a single 13/16" 40 cal GM.

I asked Greg about it, and he said that since Green Mountain was bought by Knight to make barrels for their rifles, they are treating the traditional barrels as a sideline. They have reduced the number of variations they offer drastically, and delivery times have gone way up. It can take them up to a year to get a barrel now.

He said Green Mountain still lists a 40 caliber 13/16" straight barrel, but they are back ordered.

Dale H

Both Knight and Green Mtn barrel company have been owned by EBSCO sense 1998.
http://www.ebscoind.com/groups-op-pob_gm.asp

They are probably busy cranking out AR barrels. :o ;D

Chris Laubach

Ohioan

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 04:17:12 PM »
That's probably exactly what it is.  Ever since Obama got elected, gun stores haven't been able to keep anything semi-auto related on the shelves.  Guns, mags and ammo are in short supply for AK's and AR-15's.  I now wish I hadn't sold my AR.

My guess is, GM just doesn't see a demand for ML barrels at the moment.