Author Topic: My Lehigh in progress ( pics added, rated R )  (Read 8246 times)

Offline Tom Currie

My Lehigh in progress ( pics added, rated R )
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
For critique and viewing pleasure I humbly  have posted some pics of my Lehigh in progress. I'm pretty much done with stock shaping and carving . This rifle is John Rupp inspired . Patchbox is incompete at this time, I just filed the screws flat today. Started this almost a year ago. The KRA Lehigh CD provided me the detailed reference material without which I probably would not have attempted this rifle.

Allen Martin Buttplate
Reaves Goerhing Trigger Guard
Rice 44" 50cal C weight barrel ( a little heavy for this Lehigh maybe but I wanted the C weight for width in the lock area)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:33:29 AM by Tom Currie »

Offline Tom Currie

Re: My Lehigh in progress
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
Thanks Eric. Lord willing,  myself and rifle will be there.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
Tom, I'll save you a trip to Dixons. You send that rifle to me when you get her finished up and I'll send you a silver cup and a blue ribbon. I just love a good Lehigh and you have a darn good one there!
Joel Hall

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »
My only "critique"... though you did a superb job of making the top of the wrist nice and straight from the barrel to the comb (almost nobody seems to get this area to look right) the underside of the wrist has too much wood, around the trigger and back.

The carving ROCKS!   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »
Really d--- great start one would say. Anxious to see completed project. Thanks for sharing. Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Online PIKELAKE

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:41 AM »
Tom, your rifle looks real good from Adrian. Those Lehighs are tough rifles to get right. It looks like it will turn out just fine. I hope to get to Dixon's to see it first hand..... JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:20 AM »
Hi Tom,

I especially like the crisp panels and tang carving.  Keep us posted!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:29 AM »
Looks really good Tom.  I like the extra long nose on the front of the lock panel...very Kuntzie.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02:42 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words.
MajorJoel, Thanks and  congrats on your promotion
Chris, Thanks for your observation on the trigger area. It is dished out some starting at the front finial of the guard but the more you dish out the more pronounced the step at the wrist gets. As the saying goes " I need to see more originals" to study. The wrist is scary thin in height near the near bow of the guard only about 1 1/4 high.
James, Thanks for your kind words.
John, Glad to hear the move went well. Maybe I could stop by sometime on my way to Cabela's.
Ed, Thanks as always
Taylor, Appreciate your kind comment also. As I studied John ( Johannes ) Rupp's work , I am convinced there is association between J Rupp and the Kuntz's. It's excellent that you noticed.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
Really nice work!
Great carving as well.
I am in the process of making a "Lehigh" fowler, but have been working with the limited photo of a fowler in Tim Grinslade book " Flintlock Fowlers" on page 224.
Your photos and references are going to be of great help.
What and where my I find " KRA Lehigh cd"
I realize that yours is a rifle, however some of the design that you have incorporated will be of help.
Could I please see the forestock & nose cap?
Best regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »
Old Ford, to get the CD go to or google the KRA web site.  The title is "2010 KRA President's Display, Vol. 1, Issue III, Lehigh Valley 1780=1820"  Well worth the cost, Quality photos, with a good editor, you can enlarge and print the areas you want for study.  If you know how to scale you can make the pic's full size, which helps if you wish to transfer stuff.  Soon as I finish the one I'm on I'll be starting one myself.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
I might add there's 22 guns 2 of which are pistols on the CD.  The only wish I would have are some spec's on the guns, I.E. barrel length/width, caliber, lock size. in order to help, those wishing to make representative guns.  It's interesting that there are so many English hardware locks.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Online Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:37 AM »
That is just fine there.

Coryjoe

Offline Tom Currie

Re: My Lehigh in progress ( couple new pics, rated R )
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:32:35 AM »
Ever since I was bit my this longrifle bug I've been wanting carve one of these motifs so I'd thought I would share a pic and then one of the cheekside. Sealer and a single coat of oil/varnish with little bit of tint in some areas. I have ordered some Chambers finishing oil that I hope to use to complete the finish. Still have quite a way to go.

Online PIKELAKE

Re: My Lehigh in progress ( pics added, rated R )
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:50:14 AM »
Your rifle is coming along nicely. I hope when you get it done you will post it. I think you will like Chamber's finish if you have never used it. It has red cast to it. It should really highlite your stain job. Did you end up using one of the NGR stains you posted a question about? I just love "PURE MICHIGAN'' rifles.    JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
Great job on the Lehigh "Indian".  Done just as the originals seem to have been done.  Really like the rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 03:44:34 AM »
Tom,

Looking good!  I agree with Rich, nice job on the "Indian".  Carving ain't too shabby either...  I like what you did with the tints, nice touch.

Ed
Ed Wenger