Author Topic: Hammer source  (Read 3052 times)

Offline T*O*F

Hammer source
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
This is a Shipper's rifle.  I am looking for a source for the hammer on this gun.  This "may" be a Roller lock, but Davis locks only come with an Express hammer.  This particular hammer lends itself better to engraving than the standard one does.

For comparison, this is a Roller made Henry lock.  I think the former is just a bit more classy.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:57:00 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Hammer source
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:54:59 AM »
The Roller lock has hammer I refer to as a Rigby hammer and the other is certainly an Alex Henry style,probably from Don Brown who is now deceased. Rod England has bought all the tools,moulds and other items needed to make an Alex Henry including the moulds for both the elegant Hammer and Don's breech which in my personal opinion was the best. It cost more because it was WORTH more.
Try <rtengland864@aol.com> and see if he has a hammer.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:13 AM »
In the last post,I forgot to mention I also used the fancy hammer on about half of these locks I made. Pull the lock off and see if my name is marked in a semi circle with USA in the name,
If it was among the first of these,it will be marked with the number 87 88 or 89 for the year I made it. After 1989 I only used USA and the majority of them have a four screw bridle.
The hammer screw does not look like mine but that could have been changed. I think the last one I made went to Norway. Don Brown did not like the idea of offering these locks as an upgrade to his guns but wanted one for his own rifle which I thought was odd. I made two of these to help his widow complete two Henry kits that were going to Sweden and the Swede insisted on my locks for these. Of all the rifles NOT to put a cheap lock on,I'd think it would be an Alex Henry or some similar piece.

Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 04:02:19 AM »
Bob,
I only have the picture of the Shipper's gun, but I'm sure if he had gotten the lock from you, you would have remembered.  The bottom gun is the one I built for Art and has your lock on it.  I've got another one out in the shop with the elegant hammer.  I thought it was one of your locks, but I haven't looked at it real close.  It may be one of Don's that we got when we purchased his last few parts sets from his widow.

I was in contact with Rod back in the summer.  He was supposed to be having Ernie do a run of barrels and I had him add a couple extra for me.  He said it would be 8-12 weeks, but I haven't heard anything since.  That was over six months ago.  I'm wondering if he's going to get his enterprise off the ground.

I had hoped that the Rifle Shoppe or Blackley carried the casting and someone might recognize it.

Dave Kanger
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Dave,
Rod called me a while back,maybe two weeks ago and said the Henry project was still a "go" and I hope so,not only for an occasional lock order but for the variety offered by a finely styled rifle that was around for only a short time before the breech loaders came on strong.
I haven't said anything much about this but I have a prostate problem that must be addressed before I agree to make any locks. I have been bothered with BPH for years but this time it is a problem. The doctor I went to for years died suddenly and the one I went to recently is too busy to pay attention to anything I said to him and gave me a prescription for a sulfa drug which I am EXTREMELY allergic to after I told him of this allergy. I have deposits on three orders and can send them back if I have to so there is no stress there.
I will post later on my medical status and lock making.

Bob Roller